3.16 won't open from the context menu

Anybody has the same problem? MP3Tag joyfully opens when started from the Start Menu, but not from the Explorer's context menu - I see it reads through the files in folder, but the GUI is not popping out. Both x64 and x86 versions. Both files and folder. Tried to reboot/reinstall - to no avail.

3.12, for example, is working just fine.

Any suggestions?

Win11. V21H2 Build 22000.708.

Can you describe which version you now have installed and in which folder you've installed that version?

Please also check the contents of those registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir

It's no problem, if one of those doesn't exist.

The last archived version I had on my disk was 3.12, so I'm currently running this version.
The install folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir
 >> **N/A**

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir
 >> **N/A**

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir
 >> **N/A**

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir
>> Exists OK, key content: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag

My guess is that this is now fixed with Mp3tag v3.16a. Can you confirm?

It's working, thank you. :slight_smile:

However, it decided to overwrite my 3.12 configuration data, although I chose to keep it.

Can you be more specific there? It's very unlikely that the installer overwrites the configuration data, but you never know...

It would be best if you could describe the process that led to the possible deletion of your configuration data.

Very simple. When I was uninstalling 3.12 I made sure to tell the uninstaller to keep my previous configuration, that's why I was puzzled to find out it was gone on 3.16a. Don't know what happened really. The entire configuration was reset: language, GUI, column customizations, actions customizations...

There is always a possibility that I clicked on a wrong button though, but I think I was careful at that time. If nobody else had that problem I wouldn't worry too much about it, though.

The thing is I just keep upgrading mp3tag, never uninstalling, so never noticed the configuration gone before.

I've checked this yesterday and the configuration is preserved when you click "No" at the uninstaller question when it asks

Do you want to delete all files at %APPDATA%\Mp3tag?

Do you maybe have a Mp3tagSettings.zip in one of your backups? Loosing column and action customizations is no fun...

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.