Batch file tag processing?

I am looking for a tag editor that can process multiple files at once. Someone suggested MP3TAG to me, but I am not sure it will do what I need. Can someone please advise before I download?

I am looking to modify a tag with sequential numbering. For example, I wish to change all the TITLE tags for all the files in an audiobook to Chapter ##, where ## equals 01, 02, 03, etc. in sequence.

Is this possible with MP3TAG?

If so, how? If not, can someone suggest a program that will do this?

Paul

Hello Paul!

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Yes, this is possible with the latest Development Build of Mp3tag.
Just create a new action Format value, set the field to TITLE and use the formatstring $num(%_counter%,2)

Simply apply this action to the files of an audiobook :slight_smile:

Best regards,
~ Florian

Florian, many thanks for the quick reply...

I presume by usiing this code like:
Chapter $num(%_counter%,2)

will generate Chapter 01, Chapter 02, etc.

and by changing it to:
Chapter $num(%_counter%,3)

will generate Chapter 001, Chapter 002, etc.

Is this correct?

Secondly, am I to assume the sequence will always start at '01'?

Is it possible to set the initial value to the sequence, so that I can for example, re-number the tag from Chapter 100 onwards?

Paul

Your supposition is correct.
In order to start the counter at 100, you could use the $add() function.

$num($add(%_counter%,100),4)

The above will write 0100, 0101, 0102, 0103...

hmmm..
well, I created a new action to add a 3 digit track sequence. When I ran the action, it added the same string "4294967295" to the track tag in all files! (instead of 001, 002, 003, etc sequentially)

The content of my action is;

Field: TRACK
format string: $num(%_counter%,3)

What am I doing wrong???

Paul

Which version of Mp3tag are you using?

2.27 Build Dec. 06,2004

I just downloaded it from this site yesterday

pl

As Florian said, you need to install the latest Development Build, the version on the main page does not have this feature yet.

Weird.. I downloaded the 2.27e build and had to install it several times before it actually replaced the 2.27 build

Anyway, it is now working perfectly.. I was able to sequentially renumber the title and track fields with a sequential number.

THANKS! for all you help and a great little tool.

pl