Cloning a fairly complex mp3tag configuration

We wish to use mp3tag on a number of PCs here at our radio station in such a way that a complex setup on one "master" machlne can easily be transferred to other machines, so that any refinements to the master machine can easily be incorporated into the other machines.

Our configuration touches on many configurable items: Tag Mapping (we don't allow it as we only deal with FLAC files), the Tag Panel is highly customize, as are the column headings and the configuration of each of the columns in the "grid" to the right, the Action Item names and the little scripts that process the Action, the other scripts that do things like rename files from tags and even the script used to export a taglist.

Is there a single configuration file that can be copied and used to get exact clones on the other PCs in this workgroup? Some of our volunteers also use mp3tag at home after ripping CDs to FLAC for our station's digital music library file server. I really don't want to have to manually update each of these PCs in order to make sure they all have exactly the same interface and perform the same functions in the same way.

I love this application and have donated numerous times over the last four or five years.

Thanks for any guidance on how to do this.

Dennis Brunnenmeyer, "d3b"

All of the settings and configuration are kept in one folder.

From the FAQ Installation & Backup.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the terminology in this sentence from the FAQs. That's why I'm looking for advice on how to clone the configuration.

"To restore the backup, you have to unzip the backup archive to %APPDATA%\Mp3tag which usually expands to the following directories... "

The term "%APPDATA%\mp3tag" means nothing to me. Would you please explain what this means in layman's terms? I do not understand how or where to unzip the backup of the configuration archive, though I've unzipped archives hundreds of times.

I think it would be much easier if the backup were an executable file that updated the configuration autonomously. That way I could distribute the configuration to our remote users and they could simply run it to update their configuration to our master configuration themselves without requiring me to do there and do it for them. Our volunteers wouldn't have the faintest idea how to update their configuration.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this.

"d2b"

SOMEHOW THIS WAS POSTED TWICE. SORRY.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the terminology in this sentence from the FAQs. That's why I'm looking for advice on how to clone the configuration.

"To restore the backup, you have to unzip the backup archive to %APPDATA%\Mp3tag which usually expands to the following directories... "

The term "%APPDATA%\mp3tag" means nothing to me. Would you please explain what this means in layman's terms? I do not understand how or where to unzip the backup of the configuration archive, though I've unzipped archives hundreds of times.

I think it would be much easier if the backup were an executable file that updated the configuration autonomously. That way I could distribute the configuration to our remote users and they could simply run it to update their configuration to our master configuration themselves without requiring me to do there and do it for them. Our volunteers wouldn't have the faintest idea how to update their configuration.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this.

"d2b"

This is something from the Windows OS.
Open an Explorer Window that allows to enter an address (you might have to enable the address bar for that)
In the address input box enter the string:
%APPDATA%\mp3tag
press Enter.
The explorer should open the corresponding folder.
As this folder may reside in a place that is typical for your installation, WIndows has devised the variable %APPDATA% that holds this information.

If you are not familiar with the Windows OS conventions it may become tricky to complete the task that you have described.

perhaps it is not identical, but I've set up what appears to be identical mp3tag setups on different PCs (custom columns, settings, actions, etc.) with the following simple approach:

1. in mp3tag, FILE > Save configuration
  2. this will save a zip file. save this to your desktop. after saving, a popup screen tells you exactly where to unzip the file to in a new install. So on the new PC, install mp3tag first, then unzip the prior file to the location it noted (in my case this is:

c:\users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Mp3tag\

edit: you may need to tell windows to show hidden files and directories in order to see the above location. not sure.

after the unzipping, stop then restart mp3tag and you should see all your custom settings in the new mp3tag install.