Command-line load of multiple directories

It isn't clear from the Help file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mp3tag/help/main_cli.html that

1. Multiple parameters are allowed, and must they be separated by ampersands?

2. Is the a way to tell an active copy to "discard all current files and then load these"?

As I understand it, multiple invocations are similar to repeated drag and drops with the Ctlr key held down -- the files accumulate.

Using a command line switch, how can I get the effect of D+D without Ctrl, where the dropped files replace the existing ones?

Thanks!

PS: It isn't clear why one needs /fn and /fp operands. If the parameter is a valid (existing) file, then it's a file. If it isn't, then it can be a valid (existing) directory, or it's an invalid parameter.

PPS: Might want to say (in the help) what happens if a file and/or directory doesn't exist.

Hi JMThomas, I assume that you have mis-interpreted the usage of the ampersand in the DOS commandline example "3. This works for me:" in my message from "DD.20101005.2310.CEST".

The used ampersands are "connectors" on the DOS commandline to say the START command what to do with the given parameters.
In this DOS commandline example the ampersand is not a parameter for the Mp3tag commandline.

Hmm, I am not aware, that there is a "know problem/bug/feature of the Micro$oft cmd.exe", so that "ampersands are getting tweaked by the command line processor".
Please give me a link to the source.

DD.20110213.0818.CET

Yes, I did not try to debug your commands. I did not study them hard.

When I saw the ampersands, I assumed you were using them according to the Microsoft Documentation - Command shell overview. Note this is general syntax and not about XCOPY; XCOPY is only used an example.

The heading Using multiple commands and conditional processing symbols talks about ampersands. They generally connect commands, not operands.

Description of the EXEC Ampersand Problem.

The basic problem is cmd.exe isn't consistent about how it decides if an ampersand is part of a parameter or is a command separator.

Now I can't give a reference for this statement, but something in my memory says there was either a "bug report", and/or an "unintended inconstancy" reported between versions of windows. Somehow a version of cmd.exe exists that does not do what Microsoft intended for it to do. But don't quote me -- I've been wrong before.

Yes I did so. I have used the ampersand on the DOS commandline to separate multiple commands.

I think you are not right with this opinion.

If someone want to use DOS special characters, like the pipe symbol, the ampersand, the angle brackets and so on, in their literally meaning, then those characters need to be escaped by a leading caret character.
This is common knowledge and well documented (... hehe I do not find the source ad hoc ... hmm maybe along with the ECHO command ...
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...n-us/echo.mspx).

For example, to use an ampersand as a literal it must be written as ^&.
This is also mentioned on the discussion webpage you have referenced.

So what you are talking about regarding Mp3tag's commandline behaviour?

DD.20110214.2252.CET