Convert replaygain values

i use mediamonkey to transcode flac to mp3 as it syncs to my ipod. i do use track gain, and MM is supposed to turn any replaygain values to sound check, but i was trying this because MM seems to not be writing the sound check to some of the mp3's. some tracks are loud while some are soft, and then some will get suddenly loud at the end of the track.

Of course, even with RG tags or SOUNDCHECK, some songs will be louder/softer than others. Replaygain or Soundcheck just reduces the variation, doesn't remove it entirely. Can't help with what MM is doing (or not doing). Perhaps there is a MM forum where other users can assist on this.

Are you saying that when you look at these tracks that don't have soundcheck within mp3tag, you see NOTHING in the itunnorm field? And if so, do the RG track/album fields contain info or are they blank too?

i actually haven't checked for the itunorm field since running the script. before when i looked, there were only the regular replaygain tags (which still have an effect somehow when i turn sound check on and off with my ipod).

edit there was no itunorm field when i looked at the tags before running the script. so i don't know what mediamonkey was doing with the tracks.

another edit i just realized i said in an earlier post that the itunorm tag was present after running the script. my bad.

hmmm, maybe MM uses a different approach to get the RG info into the IPOD/ITUNES database. No clue.

i don't expect you to be the expert off all things. much thanks for the help.

Unlike my wife. :wink:

If I could have some help, I would truly appreciate it.
I have used foobar2000 to obtain my replaygain data and have used mp3tag v2.46a to convert the album gain into the comment itunesnorm field. The problem I am having is that itunes does not recoginize the mp3tag values and writes it's own soundcheck value for the track. I have tested this by removing the mp3tag comment itunesnorm data from the tags and it is the same when adding back to itunes -6.5. The replaygain album value is -7.18. The odd thing is that this -6.5 value under itunes get info-summary-volume; is not written to the tag in any field. Am I mistaken by the -6.5 dB value in itunes when selecting get info-summary-volume? When I add the songs to itunes, I can see that itunes is taking the time to write soundcheck data. I'm sure it is me and I just need a shove in the right direction.
Thank You, Joe

odd. works for me. When I add itunnorm field with mp3tag (from RG values), when I bring files into itunes, it reads the values but doesn't take the normal extended time to create all the SOUNDCHECK values. So it is using the mp3tag created itunnorm field. And I can really tell it works because I use Album RG to create itunnorm, so the soundcheck for every song on an album is the same. If itunes added the SOUNDCHECK it would be somewhat different on every album track.

Do keep in mind that if the files already existed in itunes and already had soundcheck values, that later adding the RG generated itunnorm in mp3tag will not change anything in itunes unless you remove the files from the itunes library and add them back. Itunes keeps its info in its own database, and will continue to use that database info even if you've changed, for example, the itunesnorm field. This is why you see the same info from 'get info" because this is coming from the itunes database, not the file tags.

This said, I haven't udpated to itunes 11. Using itunes 10 at the moment.

Sounds like you've done this, but what happens when you use mp3tag to create itunnorm on files that have never been in your itunes library. When you add these to itunes, does it do a major creating of the soundcheck? Try testing by using RG album values to create itunnorm and then you can really tell what itunes is doing (or not doing).

And I assume you are really creating the correct tag (i.e., no typo in the code to create that ends up just creating some random comment).

Thanks Gary, I got it. itunenorm does not = itunnorm

aha. so you weren't actually creating itunnorm values due to the typo. Glad its fixed. This is my action info. I have both of these combined in one single action.

for mp3. (replace _ALBUM_ with _TRACK_ to use RG Track value)
Format Value:
field:
COMMENT ITUNNORM
Format String:
$if($eql(%_extension%,mp3),$rg2sc(%REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN%),)

for m4a.
Format Value:
Field
ITUNNORM
Format String:
$if($eql(%_extension%,m4a),$rg2sc(%REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN%),)

Hello guys,

Just sharing my experience with RG convertion to Sound Check.
I'm using Mp3Tag v2.54 and for me by default there is already the Replaygain 2 Itunes action.
I'm using itunes 11 latest version.

I used the rg 2 sc in my ~10k size library consisting of 90% .mp3 and 10% .aac and .m4a (apple lossless), and through mp3tag I can see that the RG values has been properly written.

Itunes does recognizes all the converted values properly, and that's great news!

I tested both with adding new files, and also editing the tag of existing files on the itunes library and forcing itunes to "reload" the tag infos by writing dummy data to any field like groupings or bpm to all the files. Either way it works, once i turn on Sound Check, iTunes does not calculates the values and displays the correct values in the info dialog.

Buuuut, it does not recognizes the SC values for the .aac and .m4a files! =/
The values are there as mp3tag has written correctly, but apparently iTunes is not seeing the ITUNNORM field anymore?
I have found some topics (/t/14419/1 asking about wheter iTunes has stopped using the ITUNNORM field or not.

I am not sure, but on my setup it seems to not be using for .aac and .m4a files.

If anyone has any answer to that, I would greatly appreciate if you share your findings.

Best regards.

Davi.

I think the topic you linked says it all !!

The only thing what you can do now is goto Apple iTunes Discussions and complain there, as Mp3tag can't change things that Apple iTunes doesn't support or reads. Apple likes to break things that worked like a charm before.

Link for Apple iTunes Discussions: https://discussions.apple.com/community/itu...nes_for_windows

This is a pretty old thread but I am trying to convert replay gain to sound check using the information in this thread. It is working for aac/m4a files but not for MP3. Everytime I import an MP3 file, itunes rescans it and changes the volume to the track gain that soundcheck uses. Is anyone else having this problem.

I am using the COMMENT ITUNNORM field for MP3 and the ITUNNORM field for aac and writing the field in the same way for both. Again, ITUNNORM works for AAC but COMMENT ITUNNORM not working for MP3.

create a single ACTION containing two commands. Note, I use ALBUM RG values. If you want TRACK RG values, replace "ALBUM" with "TRACK" in the two format strings below.

first,
format value, field:
COMMENT ITUNNORM
format string:
$if($eql(%_extension%,mp3),$rg2sc(%REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN%),)

Second,
format value, field:
ITUNNORM
format string:
$if($eql(%_extension%,m4a),$rg2sc(%REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN%),)

I already did what you said but it doesn't work for mp3 files...iTunes rescans the file every time. Not sure why it would work one way and not the other...in fact I'm tired of screwing around with it so I'm converting everything possible to AAC. I may even convert some things I only have in mp3 (I know I should not transcode) just so that I can normalize them to the album gain.

Odd. Not sure what's happening on your end. As a test, I just made copies of an mp3 file and an AAC file and deleted the Soundcheck tag field on both (either COMMENT iTunNorm or iTunNorm). I then ran the ACTION above to add SOUNDCHECK values with mp3tag and then imported both files into itunes. Afterwards, I compared the SOUNDCHECK value of the newly imported files with my old copies that had not been imported yet, and found the contents of both "COMMENT iTunNorm" and "iTunNom" identical. That is, itunes did not rewrite/recalculate the SOUNDCHECK value.

I'm using ver. 2.99a of mp3tag and iTunes ver. 12.9.5.7 (windows)

I used the code as you listed it exactly in MP3Tag. I am only having trouble with MP3 files...AAC/m4a files work just fine. I have further been comparing it with Foobar2000 and dBPoweramp. I can't get any of them to do it correctly for an MP3. I will give you an example based on a file that I used in each of the programs. Note that this file gets a calculated album replay/gain value of +2.44

MP3Tag:
COMMENT ITUNNORM = 0000023A 0000023A 0000023A 0000023A 0000023A 0000023A 0000023A 0000023A 0000023A 0000023A

When imported into iTunes, the volume shows as +2.0

Foobar2000:
COMMENT ITUNNORM = 0000023A 0000023A 00000590 00000590 00024CA8 00024CA8 00005A8D 00005A8D 00024CA8 00024CA8

When imported into iTunes, the volume shows as +2.0

dBPoweramp:
COMMENT ITUNNORM = 0000023A 0000023A 00000591 00000591 00024CA8 00024CA8 00007C24 00007C24 00024CA8 00024CA8

When imported into iTunes, the volume shows as -0.7

I am using MP3Tag v2.98 and iTunes 12.10.1.14 (windows 10)

looks like both mp3tag and foobar2000 are doing it correctly in this example. SOUNDCHECK volume adjustments will be similar to the replaygain value (e.g., +2 vs +2.44), but not identical as I understand that the itunes algorithm is a bit different. Not sure of the technical details.

I would agree with you that those programs are doing correctly EXCEPT for the fact that other tracks on this album have different values. This particular album is one I only have in MP3. Here is a snippet of the different values when technically they should all be the same since the COMMENT ITUNNORM value is the same for every track:

Track 1 = +2.0
Track 2 = -0.7
Track 3 = -0.2
Track 4 = -0.5
Track 5 = +1.5
Track 6 = +2.4
Track 7 = +2.4
Track 8 = +2.4
Track 9 = +2.4
Track 10 = +2.4
Track 11 = +1.6

There are more tracks but you get the point.

Note that if I convert these same tracks from MP3 to AAC/m4a and then run the code to write the souncheck value into the ITUNNORM field, every track imports into iTunes at +2.4 which is the correct value. This is very confusing as I would think the COMMENT ITUNNORM and ITUNNORM fields would give the same results with the same hex numbers but they clearly don't. I do have a select few mp3 albums where using foobar2000 has worked for the entire album but I honestly have not been able to figure out a rhyme or reason as to why it works sometimes but not others. Very frustrating...

definitely something odd going on. But I don't have any solution ideas. I've moved away from using itunes in any case and all my players now use the ReplayGain tags instead. I use foobar2000 mobile on my iphone/ipad.