Discogs : 401 error

edited....
Open script in a editor.
There are 2 possible reasons to fix:

1. Change [WordSeperator]=+ to [WordSeperator]=%20
  2. Check [Encoding] value. Try to use utf-8 instead of url-utf-8

Yes I just checked again its 11:48 PM and still cannot connect to Discogs

Have you tried the default script Discogs with one word only?
If it works with one word (e.g. Gold) but not with several words (e.g. Over Gold) then the script needs the small fix I describe in my previous post.

I have tried out both your recommandations ([WordSeparator]=+ and [Encoding]=utf-8) but it didn't help here.

As you described I can do a discogs search with either one word only or by replacing the spaces between several words with a + manually.

I was too fast when sent the message.
[WordSeperator]=%20 solved my issue.
My guess is smth wrong with URL encoding.

Unfortunately not here. No [WordSeperator]=%20 and no [WordSeparator]=%20. Maybe you have changed anything else.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I was too fast.

If I use

[WordSeperator]=%20

AND

[Encoding]=utf-8

it works!

Yes! I use the same.
Let's hope Florian will find some time to fix this issue.

This is now also fixed with Mp3tag v2.65a (see the linked topic for some explanation).

I have just updated v.2.65a but UTF-8 is not replaced, my value is still url-utf-8.
After changing it is working

I'm using v2.66 and I'm still getting 401 errors.

I checked the .src file but didn't need to make any changes because it already had [WordSeperator]=%20 and [Encoding]=utf-8 (as was expected with this version).

The track titles in question contained an apostrophe (in the word "I'm") which seems to be the culprit.

my scenario:

1. I used the discogs tagging feature in Mp3tag 2.71 for many months without problems.

2. I suddenly receive this error: "Failed to authenticate using OAuth (1)."

3. I attempt to use the discogs tagging feature in foobar2000. I receive a similar error: "(skipped) Error: Authorization Failed (401) [Is OAuth working?] - (url: http://api.discogs.com/oauth/request_token)"

4. I attempt to fix the error by deleting the Mp3tags application from my discogs settings.

5. Step 4 fails to fix the error.

6. no dialogue within discogs settings to re-authorize Mp3tag. It just seems like the messages are blocked...

7. musicbrainz, amazon and freedb tagging works fine.

I followed the steps in this thread found that my discogs.src file already contains the suggested settings. also tried combinations suggested by other posters:

[WordSeperator]=%20
[Encoding]=url-utf-8

[WordSeperator]=%20
[Encoding]=utf-8

[WordSeparator]=%20
[Encoding]=url-utf-8

[WordSeparator]=%20
[Encoding]=utf-8

OAuth error still occurs.

I created a new discogs account, to see if my old discogs account was causing the error. I tested the discogs tagging feature in Mp3tag, while logged into my new discogs account. once again, I get an OAuth error.

more details in this thread:
Mp3tag v2.71 / foobar2000 - discogs tagging not working: "Failed to authenticate using OAuth (1).

im getting this error now too
was all working fine yesterday

went to discogs now and deleted my auth key for MP3Tag
but MP3Tag does not bring up a dialogue asking you to re-auth or input a new key.

there are some more threads on this error:

i have looked through and tried solutions in atleast 4 threads... still not working

if I edit the "discogs.src" file, it looks like this...

.# ###################################################################
.# Mp3tag Tag Source for Discogs API (Official)
.#
.# Search by ALBUM
.#
.# This file should be stored in your tag sources sources directory
.# %APPDATA%\Mp3tag\data\sources
.# and requires Mp3tag v2.97b or above.
.#
.# [2019-11-09] v1.01 CHG: changed to use double pipe symbol as search-by delimiter.
.# [2019-09-09] v1.00
.#
.# ###################################################################

[SearchBy]=Album||%album%||&release_title=%s
[Include]=Discogs.inc

the lines everyone is referring to seem to appear in the "Discogs.inc" file though

what i dont understand is Why do I need to now edit these files now when yesterday it was working perfectly

HA!!!
My clock was out of sync... O_O random

Seems fine now

After more than a year of getting this damn 401 error, I finally found my solution.

Background: I first installed MP3tag in late 2015, somewhere around version 2.72. Over time I've updated MP3tag periodically and am now using version 3.14.

Error: None of the tag sources have worked on my system for several years, I would always get 401 errors for Discogs, MB, etc. After getting very frustrated, I decided to use other tag software that did work.

Today: I decided to give MP3tag 3.14 another try, but the 401 errors continued.

Doing a bit of sleuthing, I began by focusing on Discogs. I deauthorized all my previous MP3tag authorizations in Discogs, and reauthorized it. That worked fine, but the damn 401 error continued.

I then discovered that all the .src files in ~MP3tag\data\sources were dated 12/19/2015. WTF! Even though I've updated MP3tag multiple times over the years, the updates have NEVER updated the .src files. This must be an error in the update process.

Solution: This is what fixed the 401 error on my system.

1. I extracted the contents of mp3tagv314setup.exe to a temporary directory.
  2. I copied all the files found in the ~\data\source subdirectory of the temporary directory.
  3. I pasted them all into the c:\users########\AppData\Roaming\Mp3tag\data\sources directory.

Outcome: All tag searches using Discogs, MB, etc. now work perfectly.

YMMV.

1 Like

It looks to me like you have mixed the installation methods from standard to portable and perhaps back again.
You can check in Tools>Help>About what kind of installation you have.
And you can open the configuration folder that is actually used with File>Open configuration forlder.

Thank you for the comments.

You may be correct that I am ignorant about how Mp3tag is installed on this computer, but HELP>ABOUT does not indicate what type of installation I have, and FILE>OPEN provides no explanation about why the .src files have never been updated.

Nevertheless, by explaining the cause of and solution for the 401 error on my computer, I hope that this might help some other users who are experiencing the same problem.

about

which says "64-bit portable" - if your version of MP3tag does not show something similar, then you should update.

This is the section in the File menu I referred to:
ordner öffnen
If you don't have that either ... see above.

Fixed it for me, too. Thank you!