Export Text to xls/csv

I know little about syntax so I'm having difficulty exporting to an xls or csv a listing of all artists (in one column), titles (in another) and genre (in yet another) so that I can sort. All 3 keep coming out in one column. I have attempted to edit the existing export formats but again, syntax is not my cup of tea. Can anyone help?

Unfortunately you have not given an example of your modifications - it would have been easier to give hints on what to improve.
The modification of the existing sample csv-export for your 3 fields would look like this:

$filename(csv,utf-16)Title;Interpret;Genre;
$loop(%_filename_ext%)%title%;%artist%;%genre%;
$loopend()

The bits between utf-16 and $loop( supply a headline - which can be left out.

Mp3tag cannot write to or export data into files of type .xls (Excel Spreadsheet), which has a binary file format.
Mp3tag can export data into a text file, which content can be arranged in different formats, e. g. TXT, CSV, SSV, TSV, HTML, XML, RTF, CMD, VBS, JS and many other formats as well, because of the basically textual output.

There is no need to export data from Mp3tag to another application just for sorting.
Simply use Mp3tag's list view to sort data per column.

There are many threads in the forum regarding data transfer between Mp3tag and Excel.
The problems are different, language and country dependent.
There are threads with valuable informations about successful data transfer from Mp3tag to Excel.
... german ...
/t/4473/1
... english ...
Export CSV

See also ...
/t/9520/1
/t/10185/1

DD.20120707.1750.CEST
Edit.DD.20120719.1330.CEST

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Jul 7 2012, 04:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately you have not given an example of your modifications - it would have been easier to give hints on what to improve.

The modification of the existing sample csv-export for your 3 fields would look like this:

$filename(csv,utf-16)Title;Interpret;Genre;
$loop(%_filename_ext%)%title%;%artist%;%genre%;
$loopend()

The bits between utf-16 and $loop( supply a headline - which can be left out.

I tried to edit the existing Aritst export by making the below change to the existing syntax by adding
%Genre%;%Title% after %Artist%; on the second line below. When that didn't work I tried experimenting with so many variations I can't recall what they were. I really don't know what I was doing so I got a variety of errors. The best I could come up with was all 3 catagories exporting but they all exported into one column vs. the the column export I was trying for, making it not possible to sort. I will delete my other string.

$filename(csv,utf-16)Artist;A
$loop(%_filename_ext%)%Artist%;
$loopend()build on %_date% with %_app% - the universal Tag editor - http://www.mp3tag.de/en/