Generating %DISCNUMBER% Tags

Hoping, that we have it now:

$if($eql($regexp(%_directory%,'^.* *(CD) *\d+.*$','$1',0),'CD'),$regexp(%_directory%,'^.* *CD *0*(\d+).*$','$1',0)'/2','1/1')

DD.20070119.1735

Yep - I think we do.

Wow - I haven't checked this topic in forever. Thanks very much for all your hard work, guys!

Would it be possible for me to get you to alter this? My directory format is a bit different.

Here's how I have my directories:

Ben Harper - Both Sides Of The Gun (2006)\CD1\Files

Thanks again!

Well, I know, that the problem is not solved in general so far (we really need a ready made Discnumber Assistant), but now we have a practical way to handle cases like ...

• If there is no folder 'CDn' between album and file:
    album/file
  • If there are two folders 'CDn' between album and file:
    album/CD1/file
    album/CD2/file
... by using this
Action #1:
Action type: Format value
Field: DISCNUMBER
Formatstring: $if($eql($regexp(%_directory%,'^.* (CD) \d+.$','$1',0),'CD'),$regexp(%_directory%,'^. CD 0(\d+).$','$1',0)'/2','1/1')

If there is only one folder 'CD1' between album and file:
album/CD1/file
you can simply set DISCNUMBER to '1/1' by
Action #1:
Action type: Format value
Field: DISCNUMBER
Formatstring: 1/1

DD.20070120.1020

Sorry - the problem I was having before was on my end. Another action was interfearing with it.

Either way, the script you posted works perfectly! Thanks very much! :smiley:

[...to count discs...] we need an extra storage place to hold a user defined value while
an action runs against the selected tracks

Since then, Mp3tag as acquired actions for Export and Import. So perhaps a solution is: an Export action counts the discs and writes the results to a text file, and then a Import Text File action does a lookup to write them into the tags.

Though this would not work before the fix to the bug at /t/5799/1 .

Actually, import\export did exist when we came to this solution, however we were looking for something that could be done without text files.

Thanks for the input though.

import\export did exist when we came to this solution

Oops! Sorry.

we were looking for something that could be done without text files.

May I ask why?

Yet I didn't tested the new export/import actions in full scope. Today I thought about the discnumber problem of this thread can be solved by export/import action.
I was in great hope that export/import actions can be used as a temporary storage while running a stream of actions, but we have to realize that the export/import actions are not so powerful and flexible like the other actions. Now we have to find a new workaround for this upcoming new Mp3tag design glitch. That's a pity.

DD.20071126.2357.CET

Florian will surely be unable to resist the urge to allow Export first! This will unleash the power of scripting for action data!

If we then also had Action Tagfile - Tag it would permit very neat solutions to two-pass problems such as tagging disc quantity and track quantity, plsu album keying and more exotic things like Album Artist deduction.

Florian, if you would consider this, please also add a %tempfilepath% placeholder, to allow Export and Import to link up without deployment problems. Simple %tempfolderpath% would be incompatible with possible future multiple instances.

The export method is a roundabout way to solve the problem, what we really need is a internal placeholder.

I see no overlap. What problem is it that Export solves roundabout but an internal placeholder solves better?

Why go outside the app and interface with the filesystem when you can accomplish your goal inside the app?

What goal is it that you can accomplish with an internal placeholder?

In this specific situation, keeping a running count of discs for a specific album so that you can go back and populate 'm' in disc n of m.

Well, I don't see how you are going to go back and populate anything, since one action group cannot go back.

The only automatic solution I see uses an initial Export to go forward to do the counting, and then subsequent actions to put the count into the tags.

You would need two actions, one to either set or increment the placeholder and another to read it and set total_discs.

OK, then my answer to

Why go outside the app and interface with the filesystem when
you can accomplish your goal inside the app?

is: to accomplish the goal in a single operation.

You don't have a single operation, you need to export, then import.

Either method will work, it is just a mattter of opinion as to where it is best accomplished.

You don't have a single operation, you need to export, then import.

The user has a single operation: run an action group. The author has put the Export and Import as multiple actions within the group, no more so that your proposed two-operation method has multiple actions within the group(s)

Either method will work, it is just a mattter of opinion as to where it is best accomplished.

Agreed. Let's try both!