Let me first say that I think MP3Tag is THE most useful mass MP3Tag management programs I've ever used.
However, one problem I have always had is that it seems to be unable to access the FreeDB database correctly for certain albums.
More recently I've noticed an album ripped personally using CDex.
I know it's an old program, but I've used CDex for years to rip CDs and like it's simplicity.
CDex accesses the FreeDB database and comes back with the correct album, artist etc.
Once the tracks are ripped, I like to use MP3Tag to tidy up the MP3 tags.
When I then use MP3Tag to access the Freedb database, MP3Tag reads the 'Selected Files' as a totally different CDDB ID.
For instance NOW 81
CDex retrieved CDDB ID 18124815 and filled all fields in the resulting MP3 correctly.
When I then tried to retrive the FreeDB data using MP3Tag, it read the CDDB ID as d911a715
However, if I use the FreeDb option in MP3Tag 'Determine From Inserted Audio CD', the fields are read OK.
It could be that CDex is changing the properties of the resulting MP3 files, but they have been OK in other MP3 tag utilities in the past.