Multiple Artist Tags?

Representation of the separator and the actual character sequence used are two different things. If you want the sequence to be entered from the keyboard, then the separator needs to be some common character(s). There's no reason, I suppose, why it couldn't be represented in some special way - bold or bright red, say. But that would take some additional real-time parsing of the field while the user enters characters, whereas the current implementation only has to parse the field when it's saved.

You're right that it's possible to have literal content that is indistinguishable from the special character sequence, but the question remains whether the sequence chosen presents a problem. I don't see why it should.

I think one should just stick to "/" and define a black list entry for AC/DC.

Yuk! Please, no.

If that's the way how it's defined in the ID3v2.3 specs,

Note: ID3v2.4 defines the separator as null. (http://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames 4.2. Text information frames).

True. By the way, what exactly does that mean and how to enter/save said "null character"?

"/" or any other common characters come in handy if you are also using programs/players that do not support multiple artists at all. Sadly, even now in 2008, that still is the normal case. Even so - by using normal character signs, their artist informations clearly show all involved artists with proper separations.

what exactly does that mean

The spec says: "null is reperesented by the termination code for the charater [sic] encoding"

and how to enter/save said "null character"?

Thats Mp3tag's decision. I've suggested a special keystroke and am awaiting better suggestions.

"/" or any other common characters come in handy if you are also using
programs/players that do not support multiple artists at all

That should be handled by an option for Mp3tag to reduce for such a player, not by us having to degreade our source tags.

Sadly, even now in 2008, that still is the normal case.

Agreed.

Even so - by using normal character signs, their artist informations clearly
show all involved artists with proper separations.

Actually not, as the AC/DC example illustrates. That failure may be accpetable on a player that can do no better, but its is not acceptable to me in applications that can support multiple artists, e.g. viewing on teh PC screen. That's why I want Mp3tag to do the job properly.

We're now up to version 2.43 and it appears that this inconsistency remains. Any chance this will be addressed soon?

I'm using RipNAS Essentials to rip to FLAC (for use with Sonos) and it creates multiple tags for Composer. Mp3tag shows only the first Composer in the grid view and it would be really nice if all were shown there, so one could view all composers for all songs on an album (or multiple albums) at once, without having to view them one song at a time in the Tag panel (or in the Extended Tags pop-up).

There's a little trick now:
In the columns options enter
Value: $meta_sep(composer,\\)
Field: %composer%

Now you can see all values of the composer tag and edit it.
But if you edit it you must finally use [Ctrl+S] to save it as real multi value tag.

or leave the Field value blank if you don't need editing.

Oh, Way cool!!! That does EXACTLY what I want.

Is this (and perhaps other new functions) documented somewhere? It's not listed among the available Functions in the Customize Columns dialog.

It's in the help file.

OK, so I did this, and it works great. But now I notice something peculiar:

I'm using dBpoweramp RipNAS Essentials (R1.6) to rip CDs to FLAC for use with my Sonos system, Mp3tag to edit the tags (even RipNAS gets tags wrong on some CDs), and then dBpoweramp Music Converter (dMC, R13.2) to convert songs to WMA9 format to load onto a Zune. When viewing FLAC song files in Mp3tag, tags with multiple values (e.g., Composer or Style) show up with the expected "\\" separators in both the Tag Panel and in the appropriate column in the grid display. But when viewing the converted WMA files (that now have WMA tags), these tags show up in Mp3tag with separator characters that are in the shape of a square.

What's going on, and how do I fix this (without having to edit each tag manually)?

Or should I make a configuration change in dMC to convert these tags differently?

Is there some way (in Mp3tag or some other tool) to view all of the raw tag data (i.e., the actual tag names and their values, showing multi-valued tags explicitly)?

is there some mp3-player out there, which can handle this?