Newbie needing scripting help please :)

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to say that I'm a brand new user (as of this morning) as I have decided that it's way past time to organise the tags on my Big Finish audio drama collection.

I've spent a while looking around the forum, but can't seem to get my head around the scripting, so here I am and I hope someone can help me out a little :slight_smile:

I'm looking to put together a script that will organise my tags into a more 'standardised' format for use with my media server, and doing them manually would take weeks. :-/

So any any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

All of the file names are in the following format.....


                  /episode 1.mp3
                  /episode 2.mp3


So a 'real world' example......

Monthly/BF - Doctor Who - E001 - The Sirens of Time/

                                                    BF - Doctor Who - E001 - The Sirens of Time - Part 01.mp3
                                                    BF - Doctor Who - E001 - The Sirens of Time - Part 02.mp3
                                                    BF - Doctor Who - E001 - The Sirens of Time - Part 03.mp3

And so on.

Each one is in exactly the same format so what i'd really like to be able to do is take information from the file names and apply that to the tags, in the following format (using the above example for instance)

Big Finish

Big Finish

Monthly - 001 - The Sirens of Time

((Auto Numbered)

BF - Doctor Who - E001 - The Sirens of Time - Part ((AutoNumbered))

Audio Drama

I think that's everything.

I'm not sure if I've explained it very clearly, so any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.



This data cannot be retrieved from any of the strings you find in the path or filename. It says "BF" instead. And that this is supposed to stand for "Big Finish" (I guess) cannot be inferred by MP3tag. You would have to enter that manually.

This data is partially there but not in one piece. So you would have to assemble it from the path. It is a shame that you use "001" and "E001" for the same data ...
To extract that info, use the Convert>Filename-Tag function:
%album%/BF - Doctor Who - E%album%

You can get that number from the filename with the Convert function:
%dummy% - Part %track%

This is more or less the filename except that it does not mention the "BF" (I wounder why that is still necessary as you have that data allready in the artist and albumartist field). So after you have imported the filename as title, you have to apply the Convert-Tag-Tag function for TITLE and the mask
BF - %title%

Is nowhere in the filename or path so it has to be entered manually. Select all files, enter the genre in the tag panel and save the modification.