Quick Questions - Help me out, I'm new! :D

Hi everyone,
Im new to the program and to the forums so go easy on me this time :slight_smile:
I was using FixTunes and somehow it stuffed up my Artist names for some of my files.. My artist names instead of being 'Akon' or 'Queen' come up as 'Akon/Akon/Akon' or 'Queen/Queen/Queen/Queen'.. They are repeated 2-4 times with slashes inbetween..

SO here are my questions:

1. How do I fix the artist names?..
  2. How do I let MP3Tag go through all my files and fix all of them? I have figured out how to do them one by one but I have over 1000 to do so can it do more than one at a time?..
  3. Is there any way I can set it up so when I put a new MP3 into my Music folder it fixes it automatically?..
  4. Does MP3Tag only fix the tags? Can it do the Album Artwork too? If not, what's the best program to do album artwork? (Im on a PC, Not Mac..)

(All my MP3's are saved in one folder on my Desktop called 'Music')

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1. Make a new action

Action type: Replace with regular expression
Field: ARTIST
Regular expression: ^(.+?)/.+$
Replace matches with: $1

[ ] case-sensitive comparison
  1. Select all the files you want to edit and run the action

2. No

3. You can try a cover web source script from here
    /t/1681/1
    That works for one file/album per run

beautiful. I sorted out the arist names.. Some songs are still missing artist names, album names, years, genres, and some song names are wrong (eg "Track 8 - Akon - Girls" instead of just "Girls")

How do I make Mp3Tag search online databases to fix them all up all at once?

Also, how do I make MP3Tag make the filenames all the same, and what's the most popular format? (song - artist or artist - song?)

Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

Hello Jonno92!

I reckon that Mp3tag is not very dynamic in what comes to fetch metadata for miscellaneous files.
For that purpose i use winamp. Simply load all the files you want to tag in a playlist then:

CTRL+A -> Right Click on Selection -> Send To -> Auto-Tag

Go ahead, give it a try, i'm sure you'll like it! :slight_smile:

Not sure why you say so - I have found mp3tag to be most flexible one out there.

Depending on what you are doing you have all the flexibility to pull tags and format your own file name / title or whatever you want to. It's available from those menu buttons on the left of Quick Actions (I forgot the names). I thik they are Filename --> Tag and Tag-->Filename

BTW, I noticed in your sig that you have 2.37c, perhaps missing the features from latest 2.42 ?

I dont really want to use Winamp too.. I already have WMP11, iTunes and Fixtunes, as well as MP3Tag for my music files.. I don't want/need any more.. Can MP3Tag do it?..

Yes, can you explain a bit more what exactly do you want ?

fill in missing fields for my songs.. Some are missing artist names, some missing album names etc... Also, album artwork?

anyone..? :smiley:

Hi Jonno!

You have to trust me on this one. I've tried all methods mentioned in this topic to get missing information for miscellaneous files. The fastest/most effective is using winamp auto-tag function.

It's ultimately your choice but, if i was you, i would have deleted WMP11, Fixtag and I-Tunes.

You only need winamp and mp3tag to own a respected/organized collection of music. :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile: