random sorting

If I have a long playlist, a lot of tracks, and I want to sort it randomly because I do not want the same singer or the same song (sung by different artist) near together how can I do? Now I give manually the number to the tracks but I ask: is there a faster solution? A "random sorting" ? A way to give randomly a number to the tracks? Thanks to everybody!!!

Sorting by filetype

Just click on the column header of the first column (the one with the file icons) to sort your files randomly. Then use the auto-numbering wizard via [Ctrl+K] to assign track numbers.

Kind regards
Florian

Thank you very much for the answer but I just tried to do this way but naturally it does not work if I have more than one song with the same name (with different singer). If I sort my list by singer (artist) it can work if I have only one song per artist but not if I have more songs per artist because I will have all the songs of that artist together while I'd wish a whole mixed list.
I better explain I can Have 3 tracks of America 4 tracks of Pink Floyd 2 tracks of Phil Collins etc. but one track sung by P.Collins can be sung by America etc. If I sort by title or filename all the same songs (same name) are together so if I sort by Artist all the songs (of this artist) are together. I should like a whole miscellaneous. (sorry for my english but I hope I'm explaining the right way the problem)

Thanks a lot
Giarrow

Thank you very much for the answer but I just tried to do this way but naturally it does not work if I have more than one song with the same name (with different singer). If I sort my list by singer (artist) it can work if I have only one song per artist but not if I have more songs per artist because I will have all the songs of that artist together while I'd wish a whole mixed list.
I better explain; I could have 3 tracks of America 4 tracks of Pink Floyd 2 tracks of Phil Collins etc. but one track sung by P.Collins can be sung by America etc. If I sort by title or filename all the same songs (same name) are together so if I sort by Artist all the songs (of this artist) are together. I should like a whole miscellaneous. (sorry for my english but I hope I'm explaining the right way the problem)

Thanks a lot
Giarrow

On the purely semantical side I always thought that "sorting" is the opposite of "random" but I see, what you mean. Here my suggestion:

You could use an action of the type "Format field" for the field track that writes a random number, generated by the function $rand(), into track.
Then sort by the field track and use the numbering assistant.

Did you really click on the first column header?

If you want to create a randomly arranged list view, then you should do what Florian told you.

DD.20110322.1212.CET

Thank You, thank you and thank you again!!! I really didn't note that there is an other column header: I've always thought that the first on my screen was the "filename" column. i beg your pardon. Thanks.

Thank you Florian I beg your pardon because I've never noted the "very" first column. Thanks a lot to you and to all of those that answered me.
Giarrow

generate random playlist based on metadata

So that's what this very first column is for...

What I often do is sort randomly, use the autonumbering wizard, then manually renumber to separate when songs from the same artist have randomly ended up too close to each other.
K