That's true, but only as long as what I'm trying to accomplish only modifies the filename based on what's already in the filename. If I split a multi disc album that was numbered from 1-70 the new filename will rely on the new tracknumber metadata of the song, which I can't use in an action that works on the .lrc since that file has no metadata.
It does not help you in this special case but you are not restricted to the content of the filename with non music files. There are other information tags like %_directory% or %_parent_directory%, which ie. would help if you have a folder-structure like me
(%albumartist\%album%\). In fact I use these placeholders to rename downloaded booklet-pdfs with cryptical name to my naming scheme with an action of the type
Format Value for
_FILENAME and the format string:
%_parent_directory% - %directory% - Booklet.pdf
There are even more options. So you could import the LRC-file with an action of the type "Import Textfile" to i.e. UNSYNCEDLYRICS and later export it to LRC again using the placeholders of your flac-file for the naming scheme.
Then there would be another very crazy method for which the idiom "from behind with the fist through the eye" would be used in Germany, namely by C&P of the entire tags:
Rename all LRC files to MP3, arrange these MP3 files in MP3Tag in the same order as the corresponding FLAC files, mark the FLAC files, press CTRL-C, mark the MP3 files, press CTRL-V. Your LRC files now have tags, which you can of course use to name the files. Then delete all tags in the MP3s and rename them back to LRC.
You could suggest this as an additional feature.
As long as there is no such feature I would adjust my workflow and use the already implimented feature to handle CDG-Files, rename the lrc-files to the extension cdg, i.e. with the DOS-command
rename *.lrc *.cdg and later rename it back to lrc.
Thanks for the ideas.
We share the same folder structure. I'm using Voidtools Everything to find all the various .cue, .log, .pdf etc. files within my WIP music folder and then throw them into Advanced Renamer where I use DirName:2 - DirName:1 for .log files for example.
So pretty much exactly this. Never thought of using mp3-tag for this as I didn't know it could handle non-music files. I'll have to see if my current workflow is faster or if switching to letting mp3-tag handle those filenames makes sense for me.
I considered that as well but that's probably not much faster than copying and pasting the few .lrc files per album (not all tracks have synced lyrics) by hand. I'll check it out and report back.
"Von hinten mit der Faust durchs Auge?" I'm German as well.
That's a funny idea but even more work.
I can't believe I did not think of that. I just tried it using PowerRename to quickly rename .lrc to .cdg and it worked like a charm. It's still 2 steps more than I'd like (renaming to cdg and back to lrc) but otherwise this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Even if this won't be added as a feature I can just use Voidtools Everything to search for all .lrc files in my WIP music folder, rename them to .cdg, finish the tags etc. in mp3-tag and once all is said and done and sits snugly in its new folders with the correct names I'll search for all .cdg files and rename them back to .lrc. 2 steps total is a substantial improvement for me. Thanks again!
In a new post?
This may be if you do it album per album. But you could do the import for all your files in one go, later filter for %unsyncedyrics% PRESENT and export the lrc-files. And you can export them again and again if there are only made to the filenames.
Even if I want to depend on lrc-files I would keep the UNSYNCEDLYRICS-tagfield filled. Some redundancy can help sometimes and you can really neglect the extra-space for some text-bytes in contrast to high-resolution covers.
That can't hurt. Florian usually reads along, but it makes things easier for him on the administrative side if there is a separate thread, e.g. in the German "Vorschläge" section.
Good idea. Sadly part of my workflow is scrubbing both the lyrics tag and unsynched lyrics tag. I only trust one source for synced lyrics which saves the lyrics as separate .lrc files and I prefer to search for lyrics within MusicBee with my custom list of providers instead of displaying whatever someone else stored in the files. The only lyrics I store in .lrc files are trusted synced lyrics or lyrics I saved/synced myself.
Thanks for all your input tho. I learned some new nifty tricks.
That does not change. My suggestion is only to import your own lyrics files.
I know you mean well but I like to avoid the added complexity of redundancy when it comes to tags. My entire workflow does not touch (other than scrubbing) the lyrics tags and works on .lrc files instead. I'm not worried about losing those as my music resides on raid Z2 pools (2 hdds per pool can fail without data loss) in my TrueNAS server with monthly scrubs (entire content is read out and compared to the checksums), daily snapshots of the last month and 2 separate backups. I'm happy with only having the lyrics stored in .lrc files.