Setting tag type

Hi,

How do I make sure a specific tag type is embedded into my WAV files? I'm getting two different tag types when tagging from a text file, and one of them is not being read by a different application. The ones that have ID3v2.3 (RIFF ID3v2.3) are being read fine. Others have ID3v2.3 (RIFF ID3v2.3 ID3v2.3) and those are not being read. Help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

you could cut the existing tag from such a file and see if any tag is still left. This should not be the case.
If it is, check the contents of the tag and see whether you want to keep that or not.
If you want to keep that data, cut again, otherwise delete the tag.
Repeat this until no file show any tag data any more.
Then paste the tag data from the clipboard.

You find the functions to cut, delete and paste tag data in the file list context menu.

Thanks for the quick help. That helped to remove the second tag type, but apparently it wasn't the cause of the problem. Still not reading a lot of data in my other application. But that has to do with that app I suppose. Thanks again.

One more thing. I've tried cutting the existing tag to clipboard, then writing the tag to all files. So I should have empty tags on all files.

Now when I open the newly written, emtpy files in the other application (Basehead), for the files that do show all of the data correctly; these files still have more info popping up in the Details panel. Things like Cubase project name, and origination time. The files that don't show all the data correctly don't have these fields. Is there anything I can do about that? I think that that's in some way causing the errors.

Do you or don't you?
I am not sure what the target is - files with data or files with no data.

If you suspect that this is a player problem and that perhaps the player has a cache or a database in the background that still produces the old data or data that you did not expect, then it might help to rename the files a little (e.g. with an added underscore at the end) and then open these files in the player and see what it makes of it.

I'm suspecting there's a bit of metadata unrelated to ID3v2.3, not created by Basehead but by Cubase from which the files originate.

Just to clarify what I've done earlier: in mp3tag, I've removed the tags from all files. I then write these files without tag, just to troubleshoot and find out what's going on in Basehead.

In Basehead, when I open these files there and look at the Details panel. There's basic info like Filename, Bit Depth for all of them (I guess that's iXML that's still there? I'm a complete noob, don't know what I'm doing). Some of the files have a few fields that others don't. For the files that have these extra fields, the comment normally would show up as well (but now it's empty because I've emptied all files). Files that are missing these extra fields, also don't show the comment when I add it. Hope that makes sense. Would you be able to tell me what's going on there? Thanks again for the effort taken.

If you cut all tag data from a file (there are no empty tags - either there is tag data or there isn't) then the column "Tag" in MP3tag is empty.
The same applies to the MP3tag "extended tags" (Alt-T) - which you might use to check if there is more data in the files. Still, if you use "cut" or "delete" for tags, then the complete tag with all its fields is gone. Unless you have stacked tags, then you have to repeat the cutting or deleting.
Once you are sure that the files show in MP3tag only that what you want , then go and check what they look like in your player. If there are differences, you have to trigger the update process in the player. I don't know how you do that.