Using part of filename as title

Hi,
I am a newbie, I learnt that I can use the whole filename as title by using %_FILENAME% string under the format value. However I was trying to figure out how can I eliminate part of the filename and use the rest as title. e.g if the filename is "04 Wake me up" etc what string do I use to just copy "wake me up" and skip 04. I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out.

Thanks

You can type

%track% %title%

if you want

TRACK=04
TITLE=Wake me up

If you just want the title then you type

%dummy% %title%

it gives you

TITLE=Wake me up

(without altering the other existing tags)

QUOTE (jesus2099 @ Sep 18 2007, 16:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can type
%track% %title%

if you want

TRACK=04
TITLE=Wake me up

If you just want the title then you type

%dummy% %title%

it gives you

TITLE=Wake me up

(without altering the other existing tags)

Jesus, I tried what you suggested but it didn't work. Here's what I exactly did I highlighted 4 songs all of these had the title field blank so I was trying to copy the filename without the numbers.
I selected action(quick) and then chose format value and then under field I selected title and then under Fornat String I put %dummy% %title% I ended up with the number and the filename in the title.
Am I doing something wrong? Please help me out. Thanks!!

That is for Convert > filename - tag
or
Action Guess Values with source format %_filename%

It worked!!! Awesome. Thanks!!!

I'm a little confused...I'm a noob and I still cannot get my track to change.....from "02 streets of new york" to "streets of new york"....Can some please post a step by step on how this is done...I've tried both solutions posted on this thread...but, it seems like when i did it, it cut out part of the name....it was showing "of new york" and cut out the "streets" out of the title or it cut out the number but left a blank space in it's place instead of deleting it altogether......PLEASE HELP! thanks!

There is a difference between your problem and the problem of the topic starter.

For your problem (remove leading track numbers)

Action type: Replace with regular expressions
Regular expression: ^\d+\s+
Replace matches with:

What if happen the filename is "01. Wake me up " and i want to change the title to just "Wake me up" (without the 01.) how can i do it?

Use dano's example from post #7 but modify the search pattern like this:
^\d+.\s+

Hello!

I followed as mentioned above but it didn't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can you guys help me please? Look the image:

Do not use _all in step 4 but _filename
Also you missed out the dot:
^\d+.\s+

ohrenkino

Now it works. Thanks a lot man!!!

The descriptive name, which you give to an action group is in fact the file name of the mta-file stored in the folder "%appdata%\Mp3tag\data\actions" resp. "%appdata%\Roaming\Mp3tag\data\actions".
Do not use any character for the name of the mta-file, which is a forbidden character in the file system.
In the string '01.->' ... the character '>' is the reserved character for output redirection and cannot be used as part of the file name.

DD.20140107.1427.CET