Ver 3.14 bug: file "cannot be opened for writing"

After updating to ver 3.14, I get an error indicating that the file I'm editing "cannot be opened for writing." The file is not in use by other applications.

When I open the same directory with a computer equipped with ver. 3.05, I get no error. And once I've made a change to the metadata using the ver 3.05 computer, the computer equipped with 3.14 can then open the file and make the changes I'm requesting.

could you check the original file with the procedure outlined here:

I suspect that the file was broken prior to tagging and this was detected by 3.14 while 3.05 ignored that state.
see also the change log:
2022-02-04] CHG: added reporting of unsupported or corrupted file structure as error to 'Tag'
column.

Ok. Fair enough.

What I've discovered is that the problem occurs with new music files created using the "Extract Regions" function in Sound Forge Pro 13. Apparently MP3Tag v. 3.15 recognizes some issue with the files this program generates that earlier versions of MP3Tag did not take issue with.

The files that are problematic to MP3Tag v. 3.15 do not seem corrupted and play normally using Media Player or other players.

In Sound Forge Pro 13, the only switch/parameter that can be changed in the Extract Regions function is whether to write long file names for the destination files. Toggling this did not have any effect on MP3Tag's problems with the files.

This does not mean anything in respect to the tag structure of the files.
You would really do us all a favour if you could check the files with the linked tools.

Because only if the integrity has been verified, other probable causes can be examined.

In examining one of the offending files, MP3 Diags found:

1. ID3V@ tag doesn't have an APIC frame (which is used to store images).
  2. No normalization undo information found. The song is probably not normalized by MP3Gain or a similar program. As a result, it may sound too loud or too quiet when compared to songs from other albums.

So I guess this means that Sound Forge Pro 13 does not write these two items, which MP3Tag believes are important, in the sound files it produces with the Extract Regions function. Therefore, until and unless the folks at Magix (Sound Forge Pro) change how the program structures the files it produces in extracting regions, MP3Tag will no longer work with Sound Forge Pro.

Thanks for helping to clear this up.

No, it does not matter whether there is already an embedded picture or any mp3gain information for MP3tag to work.
I was looking much for unknown streams, invalid headers, streams with less than 10 frames.
This file that you just checked should be taggable with MP3tag.
Or could you supply such a file if the problem persists?

You ment version 3.05?

So sorry and just to be clear: MP3Tag version 3.05 has no problem with the files in question. It's version 3.14, the current version, that will not write to these files.

And as Ohrenkino pointed out. The log of changes has the following entry:

2022-02-04] CHG: added reporting of unsupported or corrupted file structure as error to 'Tag'
column.

You can try the suggested repair tools regardless of whether the Sound Forge Pro software gets updated. Not only do they report errors they find, but there are various correction options to restore the proper header data for you.

It would be nice to get the hands on one of the not working files.

Here's a link to a file produced by Sound Forge Pro 13's EXTRACT REGIONS tool:

The Sound Forge Pro's EXTRACT REGIONS function only produces .wav files.

oh, it's a wav file!
I opened the file with Nero Wav Editor and saved it again and then had no problem to save a tag.
The support for tags of wav fiels in WE is scarce to virutally non-existent. So the windows explorer is yet again no good test environment to check MP3tags tagging capabilities.

I've analyzed the file and added a workaround for that with Mp3tag v3.14a. Can you re-check?

Yes. V3.14a is good. It allows altering the .wav files that I could not modify with v3.14.

Thank you for addressing the problem.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for confirming the workaround.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.