Volumed (multiple part) Compilation Folder Creation

WHich field holds the information that this as a grouped collection and the name of that grouping?

I have been pulling from the album title for folder creation and that is the issue...As indicated what I have now is this folder structure created by my actions

Various Artists
Cold Hands Seduction Volume 182
Disc 1
Tracks
Disc 2
Tracks

What I am after is

Various Artists
Cold Hands Seduction
Volume 182
Disc 1
Tracks
Disc 2
Tracks

Without compromising the album name as found in Discogs or Bandcamp or whereever...

How does the individual title/file know that it is part of a family of compilations?

An expression like

[$regex(%album%,'.*Volume (\d+)','Volume $1')]%album%
Would create an extra level of folders called e.g.
Volume 182\Cold Hands Seduction Volume 182
(The [] enclose an optional part of the string that is only filled if the enclosed expression returns a result)

But how does this file know that there are Volumes 180 and 181?

I process each album/compilation individually so, I don't really need it to know if there is Volumes 180 or 181 just need to know how to create the folder structure that I am looking for.

So I attempted to use your suggetion unfortunately my result was not as hoped....

$regex(Cold Hands Seduction Volume. 182,.Volume (
d+),Volume $1)
Cold Hands Seduction Volume. 182

Am not sure if I am missing something, I copied and pasted directly from above and chose format _Directory with your suggestion...I even tried searching an modifying but no luck there either..

Try again ...

ALBUM : Cold Hands Seduction Volume 182

Convert : Tag-Tag
Field : TEST
Formatstring: [$regexp(%album%,'^.* (Volume \d+).*$','$1')'']%album%
Result : Volume 182\Cold Hands Seduction Volume 182

See also ... /t/17049/1

DD.20170505.0641.CEST

... is not quite the same as ...

If you create the filenames/folders manually, then you can easily use the function Convert>Tag-Filename with a format string that consists of the tag variables and text constants for the missing information.
For me "auto create" in actions means: no user interaction, all the data has to be present in the files somewhere or be part of the (universal) format strings in the actions.

So my recommendation would be: use Convert>Tag-Filename

(As a personal comment: I think that the folder structure is rather redundant: you get the information about the volumes at least twice. Once in the top folder and the sub folder with the number and then again in the album folder. THis gobbles up a lot of the precious maximum number of characters that you are allowed for a filename. I would keep it flat, a good disciplin in naming conventions would group these files together - and a good representation is eventually the task of the player. But that is just my personal view, you will have your own reasons)

If that is an accurate copy then you have inserted a dot after "Volume" in the string that is not reflected in the search pattern.

For the string "Cold Hands Seduction Volume. 182" you would need "Volume. (\d+)"

Also you missed the ".*" in front of "Volume".

What I do is I look at each ALBUM/FILE INDIVIDUALLY and apply the necessary action groups required. Some are missing the album cover, some the track numbers are messed up, some have weird characters substituted in and some have erroneous tags added...so I use the action drop down menu to choose which action to apply to the folders as necessary..this is one that I would like to apply.
To your personal note, I am note sure that you quite understand my final result that I am looking for...I am looking to create the sub folder for the Volume THAN removing that "folder name (Volume 182) from the parent file it is in so I can get my Various Artists folder (used for compilations as I do not break out tracks individually to Artist by compilation):

Cold Hands Seduction (Volume and number removed) - (Parent folder Collection grouping name only)
Volume 182 (Sub folder with dics and track folders underneath as required)
Volume 183 (Next Volume)
Volume 184 (Next Volume, etc as required)

It is not quite clear to me which dropdown menu you use: the "actions" or "actions (quick)".

Anyway: if you assemble an expression for each file or even all the files of a folder then I would like to point out that the functions from the Convert menu correspond to actions of various types
Filename-Tag = "Guess values"
Tag-Filename = "Format value" for _FILENAME which also creates new folder structures
Tag-Tag = "Format value" for a given field and also for _DIRECTORY to rename a folder and move all the files in it.

So if you have the requirement to use individual sets of data that is gathered with a lot of user interaction, then the Convert functions may suit you better as you get a preview and can also recycle already used expressions. This feature is not present in the dialogues to create or edit actions. Actions are excellent for routine jobs that have to be carried out the same way each time.

And just to expand my personal note a bit:
I still would not use a folder structure with (at least) 2 levels: as soon as you want to transfer one (or more) member(s) of that family of albums to another storage location, you would have to rename the folder again as "Volume 182" then would not reveal that is is actually part of that great colletion of "Cold Hands Seduction" volumes. OK, admittedly: even the Bravo Hits have not reached volume 100 yet, so it could be that it is absolutely clear, that volume 182 can only be from the "Cold Hands Seduction" series. But for lower volumes, like 1, 2 or 3, it becomes hard to separate them.
But as I said: just my opinion. If your order suits you: fine.

This works however the results are reversed:

Result : Volume 182\Cold Hands Seduction Volume 182

looking for

Result : Cold Hands Seduction (with Volume and Number removed)\ Volume 182

So I have been able to get the Folder tree desired result now just need to know how to remove the Volume 182 from the original folder?

ALBUM : Cold Hands Seduction Volume 182

Formatstring: $regexp(%album%,'^(.+)\s(Volume\s\d+)$','$1\\$2')
Result : Cold Hands Seduction\Volume 182

ALBUM : Cold Hands Seduction 123
Formatstring: $regexp(%album%,'^(.+)\s(Volume\s\d+)$','$1\\$2')
Result : Cold Hands Seduction 123

DD.20170506.1952.CEST

Thank you however I am not looking to compromise the Album title...what I am trying to adjust is the DIRECTORY STRUCTURE
end result being...

(folder) Cold Hands Seduction
(sub-folder) Volume #
(sub-folder(s) as required) Disc(s) and associated tracks

That what DetlevD showed does not do anything to the field ALBUM but saves the result in a field called TEST.
Instead of using TEST as target, enter the field that you really want to modify.

You got an example how to do it on a test tagfield as a preview, by applying the converter dialog "Tag-Tag".
To make it permanent in the disk folder system, then instead of tagfield TEST do apply the pseudo-tagfield _DIRECTORY.
It is sufficient to select only one file in the folder, all other files in the folder are automatically moved as well.

DD.20170507.0952.CEST

So after some playing around with this I have been able to achieve the folder structure that I wanted. The example below is for Roman Numeral compilations hence the \D+ and achieves the desired result...

Format value "TITLESORT": [$regexp(%album%,'^.* (Part \D+).*$','$1')]
Format value "ALBUMSORT": $cutRight(%album%,$len(%titlesort%))
Format value "_FILENAME": F:\Backup Processing\%albumartist%\%albumsort%\%titlesort% %mediatype% %year%\%_filename_ext%

I receive an error if I try simply formating the existing "_DIRECTORY" so I use a "_FILENAME" command using a proper windows filepath and the formatted values. Only issue remains is that I am unable to get the cover art (folder/file) to move with it to the new directory. Now most of my files have the coverart embedded however there are other files such as insert images and back cover and disc photos in some of the files so I would like to have these files/folder go with it to the new directory. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can take and move all files in the directory folder, when you edit the pseudo tagfield _DIRECTORY.
Try to "format value" the pseudo tag field _DIRECTORY instead of the pseudo tag field _FILENAME.
This will cause a MOVE of the complete folder.

When you load the track files, respectively the parent folder, respectively the root folder, into Mp3tag, you should have a closer look to the fact where is the Mp3tag workfolder situated (should be read in Mp3tag window title).
In relation to this workfolder you can assemble a relative folderpath which points to the place where you want to create the new subfolder of your wish.
As an alternative way you can use an absolute path starting at the drive root, carrying the complete folderpath which points to the new folder.
See also ...
/t/16792/1
Ordner erstellen und Dateien verschieben

DD.20170605.0838.CEST

So attempting use the _DIRECTORY suggestions above I have run into the following error which I am unable to resolve.

"Unable to create folder. They system can not find the path specified"
Yet if I use the _FILENAME version all works? Am stymied by this....

This is an OS message, right?
So either you have not got the sufficient access rights or the total filename (with all the path components) is too long or you have illegal characters in it.