Wine on macOS Sierra

Hello people,

I've been a satisfied MP3tag user for almost ten years now. I've always been a Windows user and now I'm about to go abroad for a couple of months, I locked away my PC and want to use my girlfriend's Macbook to put some last songs on my phone before I leave.

However, when I install the OS X version that is supposed to include the Wine app, nothing really happens. When I try to open MP3tag, the app icon briefly jumps in the task bar and then disappears. Is this because I updated my girlfriend's laptop to macOS Sierra which is not yet supported? Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Harco,

thanks for the feedback and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

The issue you're describing has to do with the update to macOS Sierra, which brings a lot of internal changes on the table.

I did some experiments over the last two days and have a possible solution: please download the version linked to below and copy the extracted Mp3tag.app over to your Applications folder

Edit: I've removed the download link since the official version from http://www.mp3tag.de/en/mac-osx.html is newer.

Kind regards
– Florian

Thank you for the quick workaround, Florian. Works like a charm!

That's great! Good to know :slight_smile:

Kind regards
– Florian

When I right click a track and press convert > tag - filename, the following happens:

Error message means "location not found," but seeing as you're German, you'd probably understand, haha. Does it have something to do with the fact that MP3tag doesn't understand Mac directories? I did notice the question mark that is mentioned in the first directory is missing in the second one.

Thanks for spotting! I've fixed the issue with v2.78c

http://download.mp3tag.de/mp3tagv278c-MacOSX-Wine.zip

I've also updated the link from the post above, so that everyone gets the latest version :slight_smile:

Kind regards
– Florian

Thank you, Florian. Works great now!

Hi, I have the same problem but cant try your download as the link doesn't work.

Please help,

Thanks, WMG75

Please proceed from here and make sure you update to the latest version available from http://mp3tag.de/en/mac-osx.html :slight_smile:

Kind regards
– Florian

I have the same issue on the last version 2.79. How I see it happens with directories and file names in Russian (my local language).

Hello Florian,

Can you please repost or fix the link to mp3tagv278c-MacOSX-Wine.zip? This version worked great on macos Sierra. I downloaded the newest version (v2.79) and now it won't launch on Sierra. I don't have the previous version (v278c) any longer. Or perhaps you can email it to me? I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rubens

Hello Rubens,

the new version must work :slight_smile:

Can you try to remove any previous traces of Mp3tag as well, e.g., also under
/Users/Rubens/Library/Application Support/de.mp3tag.Mp3tag_*

Kind regards
– Florian

P.S. I've removed your email address from the previous post

Hello Florian,

I removed the files from my library folder, but it still doesn't work. When I launch mp3tag it shows up for a second in the dock and then disappears. I even checked my settings to verify that identified developers are allowed.

Rubens

Hello Rubens,

one last idea: can you make sure you're running Mp3tag.app from your /Applications folder?

Kind regards
– Florian

It's not working!!

Hi Florian,

It appears to be working for me now. That last tip did the trick. Thank you very much for all your help.

All the best,
Rubens

Not working for me.
Please have someone the old version for me??

Hi Florian,

I've installed mp3tag 2.79 (mp3tagv279-MacOSX-Wine.zip) into Applications on macOS Sierra and it works without a problem. I created a number of actions and tools in my old windows version and have successfully exported the config file. I can't see any way to import the configuration files into the macOS version of mp3tag.

Any help to import them would be appreciated

Bob

Perhaps this thread helps: it has a path further down the posts:

/t/16715/1

Wonderful. Have transferred config files over and all my actions and tools are now available.

Many thanks

Bob