[X] Multi-value storage non-complies with ID3 V2.3

1 Ensure Options, Tags, Mpeg, Write (*) ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1
2 Load an MP3 file
3 In the track list Artist field, enter aaa\\bbb (which Mp3tag defines as representing multi-values aaa and bbb )
4 Inspect the file in a hex editor

Expected: TPE1 aaa/bbb according to the ID3 spec
Observed: TPE1 aaa plus bbb after the terminator

This is a failure to comply with the spec: http://www.id3.org/d3v2.3.0 says

4.2.1. Text information frames - details

TPE1
The 'Lead artist(s)/Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)/Performing group' is
used for the main artist(s). They are seperated with the "/"
character.

It's more a real-world interpretation of the specification here. Honestly, the ID3v2.3 is so full of quirks that I decided to use 00 as separator.

I really thought long about this part of the ID3v2.3 spec. While Mp3tag tries to comply with the various specs normally, I decided against it in this particular case.

Just think of AC/DC -- should it be treated as AC and DC? I think not.

P.S. [X] for "Won't fix"

It's more a real-world interpretation of the specification here.

The spec says the separator is /. No "interpretation" can see it saying the separator is $00.

Honestly, the ID3v2.3 is so full of quirks that I decided to use 00 as separator.

That's really disappointing. There should be a clear warning at the top of the Mp3tag documentation of its audio format spec violations that could cause failures for the user.

Just think of AC/DC -- should it be treated as AC and DC? I think not.

If you disagee with the spec and want to make an improved non-compliant beahvour, fine, Mp3tag could have that as Tags option. But instead Mp3tag has added its custom behaviour under what it claims under Option to be ID3v2.3. This is a serious misrepresentation. It is this kind of sneaky and hidden standards breaking that leads to many of the problems I and other users have in tag interoperability between many audio programs and devices, and I am really sad to have to add Mp3tag to the list of programs that can't be trusted.

P.S. [X] for "Won't fix"

OK.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.