2 different tags for BPM after edit in iTunes?

I usually create FLAC in the first place, tag them and then convert to mp3 for use in iTunes.
Now I found that a BPM value I set in MP3Tag doesn't show up in iTunes. And after entering a BPM value fpr the mp3 in iTunes (different for a change), I have seemingly two "BPM" entries, with different values.
In the tag-options I have selected both IDv1 and v2 tags for read, write and delete (APE disabled for R/W, not for delete).
Any ides how to get BPM tag written by MP3Tag in sync with iTunes? According to the cross reference on http://hilfe.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html they should be mapping to each other - right?
Thanks in advance ....
[using MP3Tag v2.91]

Do you have any mapping of FLAC tag fields to ID3 fields esp. for BPM?
I would look at the original MP3 file in the extended tags dialogue (Alt-T) and see if there is a field for BPM that looks strange in respect to its name.

Hmm.. I'm not aware of any concious mapping. Please find attached some screenshots

• of some MP3Tag preference settings
    MP3Tag%20Mpeg%20settings MP3Tag%20mappings
  • as well as of the tags (ALT+T) of the original FLAC MP3Tag%20FLAC%20track%20tags
  • and the derived MP3 fileMP3Tag%20MP3%20track%20tags.
    The latter shows the two values for BPM, 111 is the one I set from iTunes.

Some more observations:

• I have dBPoweramp installed (for batch conversion) and this adds a "Edit ID3 tags" item to the context menu. In there I find also two values for BPM, however it labels them differently (Bpm and Tempo!).dBPoweramp

• My file explorer in Windows (8.1 BTW) only displays the BPM value set in iTunes. For other MP3s (and FLACs) which have set a BPM value in MP3Tag, it is empty.

If you store a field BPM in FLAC, it's simple key-value mapping between the key BPM and the value 64.

If you then convert your FLAC file to MP3 and the converter adds tags for the MP3, it seems to add the BPM field as user-defined text field (internally it's TXXX in ID3v2).

If you then add the BPM value through iTunes, it creates a real BPM field in the form of a TBPM frame.

Mp3tag uses the field name BPM for both the user-defined BPM field and the real BPM field, effectively showing two fields. My guess is, that if you write the tags after your initial conversion from FLAC to MP3 with Mp3tag, the field gets converted to a real BPM field, so it is also displayed in iTunes.

See https://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html for a complete list of field mappings.

@tozi
I think you have multivalue-fields fpr BPM in your files, means that there are 2 fields with the same name.
Depending on your software it shows both or only one of them according to its capability.

To proof just define a column in MP3Tag for BPM with this value:
$meta_sep(bmp,\\).
If I am right you will see something like this:
111\\64

Thank you Florian and poster for your hints. I can confirm poster's assumption: if I define a column like above I do see both the values !
If I write to an empty BPM field (MP3) from iTunes, the value gets correctly displayed in MP3Tag under BPM. If I edit the value in MP3Tag, the change correctly reflects in iTunes. So for an initially empty field this seems to work OK.
Odd: If I delete the BPM value in MP3Tag,the value however does not change in iTunes (after re-read).

So I'm at a loss what the solution could be:
My intention is to maintain FLAC as THE primary archive file (because lossless), so all my tag changes primarily go into FLAC first, and then I would like to convert any other (lossless) format from this "master".

• How would I have to set up my tags or mappings to be able to write my BPM into FLAC so that it gets correctly translated to the "real" BPM field, recognizable by iTunes?

The way I read the field mapping list is, that whatever I enter into MP3Tag's "BPM" flield gets correctly mapped to what iTunes understands as "BPM".
What am I missing?

Seems some caching at work in iTunes.

I'd re-save the tags in Mp3tag after converting from FLAC to MP3 so that the TXXX BPM field gets converted to a TBPM BPM field, that is then recognized by iTunes.

Another option is to configure your converter to write FLAC BPM to an ID3v2 TBPM frame directly.