AAC tagging corrupts the music

After putting some tags into the .aac files, I get the error 0xc00d36c4 on Groove music.

see here:

However, the program (yamb) they state are not available anymore

Be that as it may. The real approach would be not to use the more or less untaggable raw aac format but to use a container format like mp4.

1 Like

How would you do that?

Find a suitable file format converter and save the file as mp4 file.
Perhaps xmediarecode is something that suits your needs.

2 Likes

I see
thank you very much :slight_smile:

Just for some background: a .AAC file is a very simple file format. It contains basically only the actual AAC data with a simple header. It has no support for tags.

To have tags you can tuck just APE (or ID3) tags to the end of the file. Some software supports reading that. But if a software doesn't support this one of two things might happen:

1. The software might show a wrong duration, because it considers the tag data part of the audio. Once it reaches the tag data it will fail decoding. Depending on software that means it will just skip to the next file or actually show an error.

2. The software just fails to read and/or decode the file completely.

As said above putting this AAC in an MP4 file is usually the best solution.

2 Likes

A quick way to hande this is to losslessly wrap your AAC files into the M4A wrapper with ffmpeg.exe, which can then be tagged easily. Executing this command line inside the folder containing your AAC's will wrap all of them to M4A, keeping the original files (which can be deleted afterwards if you choose); change the path of ffmpeg.exe to match yours:

FOR %F IN (*.aac) DO C:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -i "%F" -codec copy "%~nF.m4a"
2 Likes

Just to complement the above, as it might not be obvious to everyone: The above command changes nothing with the actual audio data. The AAC audio is copied as is to the new M4A file, so there is no re-encoding or otherwise any loss in quality. It's hence also a pretty fast action.

Given that M4A files are much wider supported then pure AAC and are also able to hold tags this is really the best option to choose IMHO :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.