Action based on actions

Is there any way to create action groups based on other action groups previously created. I know that I can create an action group with all the actions needed, but it would be nice to do this just using functions created by the user, and considered as basic by the program...

Any suggestion? Thank you in advance...

It is not possible to call other actions by name from inside an action group.
But it is possible to put the created actions into the necessary sequence and then select them in the actions dialogue (and deselect all the other actions and action groups). The actions will then be carried out in the sequence as found in the list.

Here is a link to a thread that describes how to merge actions:
/t/13941/1
(Edit: link added)

Ok, thanks.

Another doubt, I'm trying to replace a string of characters in ALL tags using Format Value: _ALL in field and $replace(%_All%,$char(13),'<<<',$char(10),'>>>') in Format String, but it does not work, do you have any idea... I'm trying to remove all returns in all fields and substitute them with recognizable strings... Also I want to implant this into an action, the same as the inverse process... :rolleyes:

As I understand the pseudo tag-field _ALL ... this includes the filename too.
Note: Carriage Return and Line Feed characters are not allowed for filenames, also left angle bracket and right angle bracket are not allowed for filenames.

The pseudo tag-field _TAG can be used within in some actions, e. g. when applying "Replace using Regular Expression".
Note: You cannot evaluate the content of the pseudo tag-field _TAG using the (surrounding percent characters) content operator like %_TAG%, because %_tag% is a technical placeholder, which contains the list of the embedded tag-types in one media file.

Mp3tag offers different pick lists within different actions (see Replace, Replace using Regular Expression, Format value). Do learn in which situation the pseudo tag-fields _TAG or _ALL can be used.

DD.20121007.0707.CEST
Edit.20121008.0907.CEST

Solved at last, and it was completely different from what I was using. I've used \n and \r in regexp, which bring me another doubt, have those symbols have the same functionality as $char(13) and $char(10)?

The printer control characters "Carriage Return" and "Line Feed" are non-printable characters.
You can use special character sequences to put non-printable characters in your regular expression.
Use ...
... \t to match a tab character (ASCII 09),
... \r for carriage return (0D)
... \n for line feed (0A)
More exotic non-printables are ...
... \a (alarm bell, 07),
... \e (escape, 0x1B),
... \f (form feed, 0C)
... \v (vertical tab, 0B).
Remember that Windows text files use \r\n to terminate lines, while UNIX text files use \n.

In Mp3tag the character ...
... "Carriage Return" (0D) can be created by function $char(13).
... "Line Feed" (0A) can be created by function $char(10).

See also ...
http://www.regular-expressions.info/characters.html

DD.20121007.1748.CEST

Ok, thank you for the replies, I'm exploring with the special characters, now, as far as I get (I'm not versed in programming languages), I discovered that it's not possible to make a replace \n\n by \n or \r\r by \r or any combination of both, so I used a "trick" to do that, I replaced the return carriage and new lines by strings of recognizable characters, and I made the replacements on them, after that I applied the inverted process...

You can do something like this ...

Convert | Tag - Tag | ALT+5

Select format string

Field:
TEST

Format string:

$regexp(%TEST%,'\r\n',' ')

Preview
"Text here including line feeds and empty lines
Additional text line

Last text line.

"
To:
Additional text line

Last text line.

"

Select format string

Field:
TEST

Format string:

$regexp(%TEST%,' ','\r\n')

Preview
Additional text line

Last text line.

"
To:
Additional text line

Last text line.

"

DD.20121008.0543.CEST

You can do something like this ...

Select format string

Field:
TEST

Format string:

$replace(%TEST%,$char(13)$char(10),' ')

Preview
Additional text line

Last text line.

"
To:
Additional text line

Last text line.

"

Select format string

Field:
TEST

Format string:

$replace(%TEST%,' ',$char(13)$char(10))

Preview
Additional text line

Last text line.

"
To:
Additional text line

Last text line.

"

DD.20121008.0552.CEST

Thanks DetlevD,

It's similar to what I've done, in my case it was <<< and >>> instead of
, but the problem to which I was referring to was to convert a text like:

This text has to be normalized.

By normalized, I'm referring to make the difference between two paragraphs of 2 lines.
This line is another paragraph.\n Here comes another one.

to this format:

By normalized, I'm referring to make the difference between two paragraphs of 2 lines.

This line is another paragraph.\n

Here comes another one.

I've been making combinations of \n and \r, but after applying all changes, I discovered that a text of the appearance:

This line is another paragraph.\n

Here comes another one.

not really have to lines of difference, because when I move between characters, it seems that there is 4 positions and not 2 as it's supposed to be.

Perhaps it may be something related to the fact that I can't see the difference between a new line and a carriage return :blush: . A new line, as I see it, implies a carriage return, and vice-versa. May be I'm wrong, so any suggestion or advice is welcomed.

Thanks...

Well, ykeyke, at first please remember the topic of this thread:
Action based on actions.

We are now at a point to make clear and define the area of the current theme:
How to change the appearance of multiple text lines in tag-fields?
How to create the typographic design of paragraphs?
With respect to the handling of tag-fields, which can store multiple text characters in free style, as provided by Mp3tag.

Typically a text paragraph consists of one or more sentences.
The number of sentences is not a determinant in defining a paragraph.
The start of a paragraph is indicated by beginning on a new line ...
... in an appropriate area on the left or right edge of the line, depending on the currently used LeftToRight or RightToLeft oriented language.

Professional text processing offers different ways to make a paragraph visible to the reader by indenting the text line by 'en space' or 'em space' at the beginning of the paragraph's first text line.
Sometimes paragraphs are indented by three to five standard space characters.

Another technique is to insert vertical space between paragraphs.
This creates what is sometimes known as 'block paragraphs'.
Pressing twice the key [Enter] is often used to create this break, whereas word processing applications may use increased leading to create a more pleasing space between paragraphs.

Mp3tag supports only conventional text processing, not word processing.
Because Mp3tag is a Windows application, it uses a sequence of two control characters to terminate a text line (Carriage Return and LineFeed resp. D A resp. \r\n resp. $char(13)$char(10)).

When working in the dialog "Extended Tags...", for example in a tag-field UNSYNCEDLYRIS one can force a line break by pressing the key combination [Ctrl]+[Enter], then Mp3tag inserts the two invisible control characters 'D A' and the cursor will be placed into the following new line of the multi line edit field.

When pressing again the key combination [Ctrl]+[Enter], then Mp3tag again inserts the two invisible control characters 'D A' and the cursor will be placed into the following new line of the multi line edit field, giving one empty line between the previous text line and the cursor.
A new 'block paragraph' can begin from there.

DD.20121009.0953.CEST

You're right, sorry. I had been a little bit enthusiast with the powerfulness of the mp3Tag... :blush: :blush: :blush:

Thanks for the definitions of paragraphs and new lines; Respect to my issue it was as simple as replacing \r\n\r\n with \r\n, now I'll try to create an action that detect paragraphs based on your definitions, DetlevD, and normalize them following the 2 lines pattern...

Thanks again DetlevD, and sorry again for the incident with the thread. Any way I'll post this twice, the second as new thread, to separate it from the original.