Action: Delete strings - How to?

Hello there,

First of all, thank you for powerful tool !

Unfortunately, I have to unwind a tag which I have composed with the help of MP3Tag. The field currently contains the expression "composer - title" (title means Opus in this case). Therefore, I am looking for the definition of an action which deletes all strings up to the last blank before 'title', in this example to delete "composer - ". The composer represents the name, therefore the number of strings to be deleted will vary.

How can I manage to get that working ? Please note that I am not familiar with defining actions.

Thank you for your help in advance !

Regards,
Jochen

Try an action of the type "Guess value"
Source: %title%
Target: %dummy% - %title%
or
Target: %composer% - %title%

Thank you.

However, this does not seem to work, no strings are being deleted.
Maybe I have not explained my objective clearly and it would be better to try an alternative, by copying from Tag 1 to Tag 2.

Tag1: "title" [Consists of "Part1 - Part2"]. Part 1 is the name of the composer and has a flexible number of strings. " - " is always fixed and in front of Part 2.

If I copy from Tag1 to Tag2 and as a result Tag 2 should only show "Part2", what Formatstring do I have to enter into field Tag2 ?

Regards,
Jochen

To copy the contents of one field to another, use an action of the type "Format value" for the target field (what should "tag2" be?) with the
Format string: %source field%

You then would have to delete the redundant information in the target field e.g. with an action of the type "Guess value" as described above.
If that does not work, then I suggest that you supply a real example.

Thank you.

May I suggest that I directly provide the concrete example you have requested:
The content of the tag is

"Berlioz - Réverie Et Caprice, Op. 8".

I need to delete "Berlioz - "
Part2: "Réverie Et Caprice, Op. 8" should remain. Please note that the number of strings of each 'composer', in the example 'Berlioz', may vary.

Thanks for your help.
Jochen

Use an action of the type "Guess value"
Source: %title%
Target: %dummy% - %title%

This deletes anything in front of " - ". It does not delete if there are no leading or trailing blanks for the hyphen.

Unfortunately, this does not delete anything.
Honestly, I am also struggling with

an action of the type "Guess value"

I have defined it on my own according to your instruction, because I have nothing found like this in menu "Aktionen" (V2.93). Am I wrong here ?

Thanks for your patience and support.

"Guess value" is "Tag-Feld importieren" in the German UI.

Now I have got it, thank you, ohrenkino.

Manual:
Menü Aktionen / Aktion (Quick) / Tag - Feld importieren

Quellformat: %contentgroup% [= Tag to be modified]
Formatstring: %dummy% - %contentgroup%

Result is the second part of the original expression of %contentgroup%. And it works !

Thank you for your support :+1:!
Jochen

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.