Add & Remove Cover Art

Hi all
I know that this might seem like a really n00b question but i have been trying to figure out how to add and remove cover art and i can't quite figure it out. So i was wondering if someone could give me a pointer in the right direction. Also i was wondering if there if a walkthrough or something on how to get mp3tag to automatically search the net (i think by using freedb).
Thanks
ant

p.s. from what i have seen so far i think that mp3tag is a wonderful product. Just need to sort out a couple of things.

You cannot add covers into ID3v2 tags with MP3Tag, which is a good thing in my opinion. You can store a file called folder.jpg in the directory with the music files, though. MP3Tag will display this picture in the Tags dialog ([ALT+T])

Is there a way to tell on a group of tags if any of them contain embedded art? Short of Ctrl+N 'ing through all of the files that is.

Bear with me here - I'm kinda new to this stuff - but why is adding cover art into MP3 files a bad thing? Granted, this would pad up the size of the files slightly, but I wouldn't think it'd be enough to cause real concern.

Rob

What's the point in squeezing the audio files when you fill them with large covers?

Regardless of whether it's good or bad to embed album art in the ID3 tag of the file, it's a fairly widespread practice; and with most (all?) color-screened portable audio players supporting album art, it can only be adopted more widely.

Count me in in those who'd like to see this feature added to Mp3tag. The way things are, I'm forced to do the tag editing in Mp3tag, then add the files to my iTunes library and have the album art matching done there.

So that, when you play them on an Apple iPod or other cover art-aware MP3 player, the album cover will display.

Let's put things in perspective: A high-quality MP3 for a typical song is about 6MB. A 300x300 jpg of cover art is about 30K. But let's say it adds 60K to the file. That's increasing the file size by 1%. I've got a 60GB iPod and 450GB of storage on my computer. I can afford to have MP3 files that are 1% larger.

Add me to the list of users who would like id3v2 album art support.

I'm with Maxwell on this. The additional storage requirements are trivial. And I didn't rip all of my music to MP3 format for the sake of compression or space savings - I went digital for the convience and flexibility.

Granted, there may be those who are miserly enough on storgae space that this slight overhead would be a concern, so maybe this shouldn't be the default, but I'd sure like the option of embedding the album art via Mp3tag.

Rob

Eh... I use the "cover.jpg" solution... it's cleaner, in my opinion :slight_smile:

I have to install iTunes just for the sake of intergrating album art into mp3s. Really hopes Mp3tag have this option so that I can remove iTunes.

You could also try Media Tagger its small and you can just unzip it to a directory and run it, it doesn't write to the registry and writes it config to its own directory. You can add tags, lyrics, and all 20 different types of pictures to an mp3.

Just make sure you are in ID3v2 mode first (check the icons at the top)

Its free, though as always the author would like penny or two if you use it :w00t:

Thanks for the recommendation. I need a full unicode capable Tagger.

Just to let you know: I'm currently working on full support for cover art for MP3, MP4/M4A/M4B and TTA :slight_smile:

If you have any ideas or wishes on how this should be realized, please don't hesitate to post your suggestions.

Best regards,
~ Florian

Great news, thanks.

Well, I assume the two standard ways of doing it are via the tag panel. There's a rectangle for the album art and above/beneath it a "Browse" button. You can either drag & drop the image directly to the rectangle (think iTunes) or you can just use the "Browse" button and point to your cover art file.

I'd really like to see it happening via the file-listing pane though. It's fast and it would help for those occasions where you don't need to have the tag panel visible. Just drag the cover art file and drop it in the song's filename/line (am I making any sense?). In this case, it would we nice to give some visual feedback to the user: e.g. highlight the line I'm about update as I'm moving my mouse over it.

I'm sure you'll come up with something neat.

iTunes is only half-breeds on unicode support, it actually can't import images that reside within unicoded folders/directory. Hopes you won't encounter such problems while implimenting cover art support in MP3Tag. Can't wait for that cover art support version!
Thanks a million in advance!

No. Unicode folders and filenames will be fully supported :slight_smile:

At the moment I'm working on an add/remove cover art interface at the extended tag dialog (View > Tags.../[Alt+T]).

Best regards,
~ Florian

Good luck Florian, I am sure it'll turn out being great! :wink:

The current Development Build supports adding/removing of cover art at the web source framework and the extended tag dialog (View > Tags... or :mt_tag: or Alt+T).

Hope you'll like it :slight_smile:

Best regards,
~ Florian

I'm so trying this.

Someone remind me again -- do I have to uninstall the current build before upgrading? Or do I install it on top of it?

You can simply install it without uninstalling the old version :slight_smile: