Advanced Multilingual Tag Support?

I am going though all my Anime Soundtracks, and am finding it somewhat annoying that there seems to be no good solution when it comes to multilingual tagging. I don’t blame Mp3tag, I blame whoever came up with the original ID3 system and in their infinite wisdom decided that there would only be one field and that the entire tag structure would be in only one language at any one time.

Example the title of one of the song can be defined as

シベリアン・ドール・ハウス (Japanese)
Shiberian Dōru Hausu (Romaji)
Siberian Doll House (English Translation)

These are all the same thing just various translations and all legitimate

I would like to save the tile of the song like below.

Siberian Doll House (シベリアン・ドール・ハウス)
Shiberian Dōru Hausu (シベリアン・ドール・ハウス) if the English Translation was absent or there was none.

But there is lies the problem. Because the never a distinction made between languages, when someone goes to update the tags, it will overwrite the existing tag with the new data, but it for the user it might be more correct for the tag to remain unchanged and for the new title to be appended as the above example shows.

The same would go for other fields like the artist
Yoko Kanno (菅野よう子)

Here is hoping that maybe in the v2.5 specs, they will figure it out as the v2.4 version is still missing this fundamental concept.

So in the mean time, I guess what would be the best solution to rectify the problem.

Sorry about the rant above,

Does anyone have a good way to merge the Japanese names into the fields Title, Artist and Album when updating them up from a site? The default way is just replaces the data without knowing what is being replaced till after it is done.

Example

シベリアン・ドール・ハウス (Japanese)
Shiberian Dōru Hausu (Romaji)
Siberian Doll House (English Translation)

Becomes

Siberian Doll House (シベリアン・ドール・ハウス)
Shiberian Dōru Hausu (シベリアン・ドール・ハウス)

Anyone? If i have to take it out the a spread sheet, i will?

As you said: the STANDARD is not up to this kind of application - so there is no standard way.
What you could do:
Import your texts separately for each language in several rounds.
After each round use the "format tag-field" action to copy e.g. %title% to %title_jpn%
the field %title_jpn% will be a custom made field that is only visible in MP3tag as it is a nonstandard tag.
During the next run in another language the contents of %title% will be overwritten by the new language (although I wonder, where such an automatic site should be that supplies translations into other languages ...)
Do the same for the other languages until you have filled fields which may be called something like: %title_jp%, %title_rom%, %titel_eng%

Now, if you want to see all 3 languages in %title% again, so that the ordinary player shows all 3 you have to copy the individual languages back to %title% using the "Format tag-field" action for the field Title and the format string "%title_jp% / %title_rom% / %titel_eng%" (or whatever sequence of languages you like).

I still wonder what the purpose of all this is: if I read a tag in a particular language I would expect the whole track to be in that language or by an artist with that origin.
What benefit do you get if you translated a title-name into another language but the described contents is still in the original language. Especially in the case you describe I would question my command of English if I read an English title but heard Japanese.
If there is a translated version of a particular piece the description would reflect this translation. So I think that your requirement is really very special. But this only my opinion and is meant to debase you or your points of view.

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate that someone responded with a possible solution. This is all about personal preference; and isn’t that the whole point of Mp3tag to personalize the tag with the information you feel is right? I like to see as much information as possible, and who knows I might pick up another language along the way providing I have enough association with it. :laughing:

If there was a Tag > Tag migration ability this would go a lot quicker, perhaps a request for it in 2.45c?

But to elaborate my point; Same CD in two different languages. Now which one is correct?
http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-Stand-Al...7104&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%94%BB%E6%AE%BB...026&sr=1-12

Have you tired looking up 攻殻機動隊 on a US keyboard? I think I will stick to English version of Ghost in the Shell. :book:

BTW the vocals for some of the song contain English, Latin, Russian and Japanese’s in the same song. So by your own analysis.
“What benefit do you get if you translated a title-name into another language but the described contents is still in the original language. Especially in the case you describe I would question my command of English if I read an English title but heard Japanese.”
The song would need to be titled in all four languages :wink:

Can't you just use multiple instances of %TITLE%? I do it for %ARTIST% all the time.

Now, mp3tag would only display the first one (which one it picks as first one seems to be related to the order of adding). I believe in fb2k (haven't used it for a while) tags like ARTIST and TITLE can have multiple value and when queried by %ARTIST% and %TITLE%, it returns a comma separated list. That is, in fb2k %ARTIST%="artist1, artist2, artist3" if there are multiple ARTIST frames. There are further variables/functions in fb2k that can be used to iterate through the list.

This is one feature that I remember being available on fb2k and nowhere else. It'd be nice if mp3tag can do something like this too.