Album Name from Directory Name

Hi

My songs do not have accurate tag information. The only information which is reliable is the folder names they are into. I want to update the tag information based on the file path as follows:

Album = File's Directory Name
Title = File Name

So if i have 1000 songs(S1,S2,S3,S4...S1000) in 100 directories(D1,D2...D100).
I want to update
S1.Album = Directory of S1
S1.Title = Filename of S1 (without the .mp3 extension)

Can Mp3tag v2.42 able to do this. I can see it can format from filename but i am unable to do that from directory.

Unless I am missing something, this is quite straightforward. All you need to do is to create a template for the Filename - Tag conversion. Mine is:

\%artist%\%album%\%track% - %title%

which tells mp3tag that the file D:\MP3_Files\Abba\Compilation\01 - People need love.mp3 should get a tag with Artist = Abba, Album = Compilation, Track = 01, Title = "People need love". The program goes as far up the directory structure as required to extract the fields, so that it does not use the D:\MP3_Files part of the full name. Further, it strips off the file type from the filename.

In your case it seems that you need the following template:

\%album%\%title%

You can convert as many files as you need - but test the template first!

Thanks for this gah789 helped me out quite a lot. But uh do you know of a way to make it if the title has "(feat. Someone)" to add that part onto the Artist field instead of the title field.

Thanks.

BTW, you can also use Action for 'Format Value' and then use %_directory%

You just have to create some rules to match the variables you want to extract and apply the actions. Don't forget to delete from the tag the temporary variables. I might be doing something unconventional, but it works.

Assuming that your track is named as follow: "01 - MainArtist - TheTitle (feat - Featuring).mp3"

Filename - Tag %var1% - %artist% - %title% (feat - %var2%)
Tag - Filename $num(%track%,2) - %artist%, %var2% - %title%

Tam