Album Not Recognised In MP3Tag, But Can Be Found Via Manual Search On FreeDB Site

Hi Guys

I've used MP3Tag for many years now and have found it to be an excellent program overall which has been able retrieve the album info for most of my albums.

However, I do still have around 50-60 albums that are not recognised by FreeDB when using MP3Tag.

Out of interest, I decided to check the FreeDB database to see what exactly was wrong with my 'Bad' albums.

When manually searching the FreeDB Database, I located the same album (but some tracks are one second longer im MP3Tag than they are on the FreeDB search).

From the resulting page, I copied the 'Disc-ID' for the album into the 'Enter FreeDB ID' field in MP3Tag/FreeDB and select the correct category from the combo-box and got a result from FreeDB.

As an example I tried retrieving the album info for "The Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two", but was faced with the "No Suitable Entry Found For FreeDB ID 910a6010"

I then seached FreeDB Database which came up with this:

So copied the Disc-ID "c00a5f10".

In MP3Tag, I selected "FreeDB" from the drop-down search locations:

In the FreeDB window, I selected 'enter':

I then pasted "c00a5f10" it into the "Enter FreeDb ID" filed and selected "Rock" from the combo-box (as shown on the FreeDB result page):

I clicked OK and the follwing window was displayed:

This particular album was only 9 seconds out (according to MP3Tag) overall across 16 tracks

However looking at the actual track lengths of the induvidual MP3s (FreeDB, Windows and Winamp), it would seem MP3Tag is incorrectly detecting the length of some tracks.

For instance, on the above Beastie Boys album there are 9 tracks that MP3Tag is reporting to be a second too long.

However, FreeDB, Windows and Winamp reported the same track length:

Is there a fix for this or am I missing something?

Sorry for the long post.

It has been turned out that the detection and visualization of the play time of a media file is technically realized by several applications in several ways.
To see the "true playtime" we would need to have an integer number measured in Milliseconds.
Some applications simply neglect or cut off or round down the true play length to the base second.
Some applications round up to the next full second.

I prefer the round up method, because the time duration of a second, which has already begun and is partly used or filled while miroseconds of data, ends with the starting point of the next second.

See also:
[X] Exporting length to CSV file

DD.20111009.0714.CEST

Thanks for that DetlevD.