Alternating BPM tag

Let's say there is a song with distinct BPM changes throughout the track (90 => 130 => 110 for example).
BPM programs will only calculate the average BPM at their best.

I do know the actual BPMs already for such songs in 3 digit format. How should i implement this in the BPM tag ?

I'd personally go for a solution which displays min. BPM - max. BPM while sortable by max. BPM at the same time. It seems like there are plenty of software supporting - and , separators in these kind of tags, but they always sort them by min. BPM unless i change the order - which i don't want to.

So, any suggestions or other solutions for how to display and sort multiple BPM values ?

It would be interesting to know which programs actually show BPM at all (WMP does not, iTunes does but only the standard field.)

So, you can always add a user-defined field for one of the values and then declare that the standard BPM field shows either always the maximum or the minimum value.
But you move away from the standard.

Depends whether there are any standards for this ^^

I can get both programs to show the BPM in the libraries (only WMP need to read from an supported tag, and can display more values as long as they're in the same tag) (iTunes only support 3 digits in the BPM field). iTunes and WMP doesn't seem to support multiple-valued fields at all. Winamp only displays first value. Haven't checked with foobar or any other music players.

Creating a custom tag with the less valueable BPM and keeping the standard BPM tag (or just creating a secondary custom one) with the sortable value would do the sorting issue - with slight different separators. Still, there's like none players that get this idea. Times like this makes me want to design my own music player. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know Foobar lets you sort on whatever you like, and then you can export playlists. I have to believe other catalog/player tools (MediaMonkey, MusicBee) will do the same.

Last resort you can pre-pend the field value you want before the filename. . .