An info storage concept for albums that were removed

I used to have a list of all albums / singles / EPs that I had occasion to listen too. If liked any piece of music from them, then I would add something from them to my set of audio files. And so I had information about being acquainted with a given release both in a simple TXT file and in the audio files themselves [and by extension also in Mp3tag]. But keeping track of all of that in aforementioned TXT file was consuming my time; and I also started to spot differences [errors]. So I kind of stopped updating it, keeping order in files only; because they matter the most

But the problem was and still is this: when I am doing like a discography of one of the favorite artists, I might completely disregard existence of a given release. In that I simply do not find anything interesting for me on it [a very common thing with singles]. And as it is a favorite artist and some schmuck of YouTube fame, I would like after all to know to the day I die, what already have I listened to that was released by such artist liked by me. So in the past I used to write down in the TXT file such not-liked albums annotations- but now I know for good that I will not use that system anymore: because that is what Mp3tag I want to use for, as I use it practically every day

And so: How to keep "in Mp3tag" such information; that is not suppose to be there? Create a 1 second files with silence and tag them? But only with ALBUM, YEAR and ARTIST / ALBUMARTIST data? What about FILENAME / TITLE then? There could be multiple files [notes with info] like that in one folder [representing a given ARTIST], so they would have to be somehow unique. So to counter any issues arising from that: put the ALBUM in TITLE? And store all of such notes in a special folder and in a format that I do not use; so that they would stand out from normal / legit files?

Any ideas / comments? I practically have described here a ready to use system- but maybe someone already does something like this I can share some thoughts, that come from empiricism? Some do's and don'ts?

I have similar system in use myself, but not in mp3tag.

Basically it is self-written php web interface (still work in progress) with MySQL backend, where data is stored.
I basically keep all my library data there + some extra metadata, not related to the actual files.
Beauty is, if I need quickly know if I have some album in my library, I can just search and if it is not in library, it shows either the reason why it is not there or reason to buy it :slight_smile:

Mp3tag in this case is primarily used to generate csv (after tagging), to easily import album(s) to my DB.

And you do not run into discrepancies between database and reality [the files themselves]?

This also gives me some ideas:

Sometimes it does, if I remember sync up changes.

Problem is, that currently I don't have auto update mechanism, to check Tag/File changes.
As I said, it is work in progress and far from perfection.

Recently, with the still never ending work, I am leaning towards simply not caring about those "not present anymore" or "simply not present" albums / singles

Because for this to be a valid / accurate system, it would require for every album / single that I already have [or had at some point] to bear the information concerning the exact release; its individual ID. And there are three problems with that:

A] I do not have time machine and cannot start doing it from the get go in around 1997. I still have a lot of such old tracks

B] Services like GOG do not notice the changes they make to the music. Like for example only after a buyer of the game "Planescape: Torment" pointed in the comments the lack of the track for endgame credits, did the GOG realized the omission and added it to the additional content of that game; which was not only the OST from it. But on top of that they do not mention anywhere that this OST has been remastered- and it is both profoundly audible different from the music that can be easily ripped from the game files and has higher frequencies on the spectrogram. [But the endgame credits they did not remaster- yeah, more chaos please]

C] If the overall idea behind this was to keep a thorough track of discography of a given artist, then practically looking at it, it is possible for few of them. As there are constantly coming up new editions / re-releases of already existing albums, but not always are they noted by MusicBrainz, Discogs or Wikipedia. So a music buff would have to spend a lot of time on finding about that

All in all, what is better: spending time on the enjoyment of what you already have or on the work concerning what you do not want to have in the first place?