Any scripted way to extract Album and Artist from the Path field?

I don't think any of the Converters can do this, and I can't follow the pages on Regular Expressions...but am I correct to think that the info in the Path field is out of bounds to MP3Tag - in other words, it can't be pulled into the Album and Artist fields?

Far from it.
See the FAQs/HowTos

Thank-you. I can see how to get the whole path into a field now, but I can't adapt any of the Regular Expressions suggested to select one element from the path into a specific field. I simply don't understand what people here are saying to one another. If I copy and paste the suggestions from these pages I get blanks.

If my path is "D:\Music admin\For archives\Jazz\Randy Weston - African Cookbook (1972)\07 Blues For Five Reasons.mp3" I want to be able to extract "Randy Weston" into Album Artist, "African Cookbook" into Album and "1972" into Year.

I just can't see how to use %dummy% and \ etc. to achieve this.

My shortcoming, I know, but any further tips would be hugely appreciated.

Try Converter > Filename-Tag
Mask: D:\Music admin\For archives\Jazz\%albumartist% - %album% (%year%)\%dummy%
or even:
Mask: D:\Music admin\For archives\%genre%\%albumartist% - %album% (%year%)\%dummy%
or even:
Mask: D:\Music admin\For archives\%genre%\%albumartist% - %album% (%year%)\%track% %title%
BTW: there are not regular expressions involved.

Staggering. Thank-you so much: that was really kind of you.

One more question?

If there is extra info at the end of the path as in this case: "D:\Music admin\For archives\Jazz\Edouard Ferlet - Pianoid (2021) [24-96]" - what do I add to the string/phrase (sorry, I don't know what term to use) to get the same info? The strings stop working, presumably because they don't deal with the " [24-96]" segment.

Perhps this works:
Mask: D:\Music admin\For archives\%genre%\%albumartist% - %album% (%year%)%dummy%\%dummy%
as this is a different pattern from the one without extra information, you have to treat these files separately.

Stunning. I'll try and adapt for other variances instead of troubling you further. You've massively helped - getting the info for untagged albums was the last bit of completely manual copying and pasting I was left with. Thank-you!

If you follow the advice in the FAQ and use the Convert -> Filename-Tag you can see the preview immediately:

In the above example you can see that the non bold field "yearX" is a non standard tag field.

This way you can check exactly if your choosen tags and patterns (aka "format string") match your actual selected path.
Mp3tag - Format string

You can adjust your format string until it fits to your needs. For every part in your selected path that you don't want to keep, you can use the %dummy% placeholder.

:slightly_smiling_face: Thank-you for your kind help too!