Applying random tracks

I have a folder of mp3s that are not tagged for track #s. I know how to apply autonumbering while the list is sorted alphanumerically in filename column. I just wanted to know if in this scenario I can apply the auto-numbering, not as ascending, but randomly.

e.g.

Filename         Track

Track 1            4
Track 2            1
Track 3            5
Track 4            3
Track 5            2

QUOTE (COOL1 @ Dec 30 2010, 01:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a folder of mp3s that are not tagged for track #s. I know how to apply autonumbering while the list is sorted alphanumerically in filename column. I just wanted to know if in this scenario I can apply the auto-numbering, not as ascending, but randomly.

e.g.

Filename         Track
Track 1            4
Track 2            1
Track 3            5
Track 4            3
Track 5            2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your request in not clear.
In relation to your given example ... do you want to re-number the left side (filename) or the right side side (tracknumber)?

If you want to re-number the right side (tracknumber) in relation to the already sorted list of the left side (filename), then you can simply use the "Auto-numbering wizard", see menu "Mp3tag/Tools".
Or use the Mp3tag Scripting Language with the system variable %_COUNTER%, maybe together with the function $num() in an action "Format value" to format the value of the TRACK tag-field.

If you want to re-number the left side (filename) in relation to the list on the right side (tracknumber) ("Track 1" <== "4" will give "Track 4"), then you can use an action "Format value" to format the %_FILENAME% pseudo tag-field. In order to cut off an possible existing number from the filename and to glue the existing track number to the remaining filename or to do other manipulations, use some fitting functions from the Mp3tag Scripting Language.

Read the Mp3tag help manual, read the FAQ areas in the forums, read what other users have already done to solve their tasks.

If you want a randomly "auto numbering", then you may use the function $rand() in an action "Format value", which should give each track a random number.
If you want a randomly distributed file list view, then click on the column header of the very first column, which displays the filetype icons.

If you want to tag the TRACK tag-field regardless from other tag fields content in order to receive it's original track position value as given by the original album content list, then you may look into the Mp3tag menu "Tag sources". There are some so called "tag source scripts", which can search some web pages for album data.
If you have the need to change only the tracknumber by the "Tag sources" tool, then you may have to adapt such a tag source script to your needs.
Read the forum entries of the past week. There was a request and a solution for only retrieving one value from a web page.
Or use a web service like Musicbrainz Picard, which can help to re-assign the correct track number to the file.

There is also the possibility to move file list entries up and down in the list view by pressing keyboard key [Alt] and cursor keys or by using the mouse and Drag and Drop functionality.
See menu "Mp3tag/Help/Keyboard shortcuts". Afterwards use the "Auto-numbering wizard".

DD.20101230.0733.CET

Sorry for any confusion. :astonished: I was trying to randomly auto-number the tracks of a list of imported mp3s.

the right side

You provided exactly what I want but I did it in two steps. the first...

Followed by...

Again, thanks for the tips DetlevD! :smiley: