artist band tag confusion itunes

I have my entire mp3 collection setup using the Artist tag for who sings the song in the file and the Band tag for who is the artist of the album and I use "Various Artists" for the band of compilations.

I noticed that iTunes uses the information in the band tag as the artist it displays for the most part. I have a few files though for with this is not the case.

within the same album for whitch i have confirmed the band is set to Various Artists, iTunes displays Various Artists from the band tag as the Artist for some and the actualy artist from the artist tag for others.

I can only assume that this is due to the way the tag was writen in some way, or that iTunes makes up it's own mind what it wants to do when. Is there a way to make it do it one way or the other all the time?

I think I figured it out.
It has do with the order of the ID3v2 frames TPE1 (ARTIST) and TPE2 (BAND)
You can fix it by loading the album into Mp3tag, select all files, hit :mt_tag: [ALT+T] and then just press the OK button.
This changes the order of the frames and iTunes will always read the BAND tag.

To make iTunes recognize the changes, you probably must remove the files from the database first.

If you save a tag the normal way :mt_save: [Ctrl+S], the order is also changed and iTunes reads the ARTIST tag.

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to go try that. What would be really nice is if itunes would just recognize the damn band tag. but this will work for now to organize in itunes by artist rather than band. I wonder how long it will take to re-oreder 27 gigs of mp3s, hehe.

Also would you happen to know if there is a way to make itunes re-read the file info other than hitting the next button in the info screen or waiting for it to play?

I also recommend you set the ITUNESCOMPILATION field in Mp3tag to 1 for all your Compilations.
That is the actual way of iTunes for handling Compilatoins.
And doesn't that make the display of the BAND tag instead of ARTIST obsolete?

I always delete files from the database, but I don't know if that is an option for you (you probably lose your file statistics)