Artwork tagging

Hello there

Firstly, thanks for providing this great tool - it's been invaluable to me ever since I discovered it.

Here's what I'm trying to do (apologies if this has already been covered, I have looked but did not see it):

I've been tagging all my albums with Front Cover, Back Cover & Artist photo. Easy enough with single artist, but more involved with Various Artist compilations. Further complicated where those VA compilations have a different Front Cover for each disc. For example:

Stax Volt singles - Vols. 1-3 where there are 28 discs in total. Once I've tagged each of the 28 with its respective Front & Back covers the next task (artist photo) would be simplified if I could then load all 28 and re-sort by Artist and batch tag each Artist grouping.

Is there a workaround for this? Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hard to say (as you do not tell us where your picture sources are located).
If you have the picture of artists in specific folders, then you could enter a fully qualified filename as name for the picture file for import, e.g.

m:\artist_pictures\%artist%.jpg

The general rule: the more individualistic a file has to be supplied with data, the more manual work you have.

Thanks. With volumes like this I'll have the main folder [STAX-VOLT - Volume I] with sub-folders CD1, CD2 etc + separate sub-folder 'Album Art' for the covers only. I save all Artist photos to a separate folder elsewhere, for ease of access should I need them for other albums.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I've just realised that if I add all my tags except for the artist images and add to Foobar as usual. In Foobar I'm then able to group by artist and add images without stripping out the covers.

Which is also the case in MP3tag.
There is an action of the type "Import cover from file" with the option to keep the already embedded pictures. In this action you can also set the cover type.
In MP3tag you can filter for ARTIST, ALBUMARTIST and more or less any other property of the files.
So, actually, no real need to use Foobar for this task.

Yes, I see that function now. I'm glad that I asked, because there's a whole load of other things I can see that may be useful there too. Thanks for your help.