Audacity, Mp3Tag, iTunes: Vinyl to iTunes

I use Audacity to digitize vinyl records, break them into tracks and add the tracks to iTunes. I then drag the tracks to Mp3Tag and get tags for each track using Discogs, then drag them back to iTunes. There are several problems with this process, the most serious being that I can't be sure what order iTunes will see the tracks. If the tracks start out named s1...sn, everything is good, but after Mp3Tag operates on the tags, the tracks are likely to go back to iTunes alphabetically which is not so good. There are lots of other issues for me, but for a start, can anyone suggest a procedure for getting tracks into iTunes in the proper order?

I thought that iTunes sorts by the column that you selected for sorting.
So: which tag fields do you fill?
What do you write into the field TRACK (that is supposed to be only numeric)?
How do you update the iTunes database?
What format do the files have (mp3? flac? wav?)
Which tag versions do you write? ID3Vx? APE?

Thanks for the reply. I'll answer now, off the cuff. and hope you will correct me as required:

• I thought that iTunes sorts by the column that you selected for sorting.
    Not really a question of sorting. At best, the Track field is blank, so I go in and, using the album track list, enter the Track number for each track number as required. Not terrible, but I remember at times in the past, the track numbers would be filled in either correctly or not. When I first use iTunes->File->Add folder to Library (before Mp3Tag is used, and I've named the tracks S1...Sn, they are in iTunes with Track Names S1,,,Sn, OK so far. Then move tracks to Mp3Tag, fill in the tags and they are in Title order, but since Track is blank I can fix it, thought I'd prefer not to have to.

• So: which tag fields do you fill?
    I get an Mp3Tag field group with the addition to composer which I can't get filled in (another question!)

• What do you write into the field TRACK (that is supposed to be only numeric)?
    It starts out from Discogs, usually A1...An, B1...Bn. I never noticed before but perhaps when Discogs tracks 1...n, I'll get that in the track field. The advantage of no Field entry is that I can correct it to get the right order. I remember in the past, I would sometimes get Tracks entries that were completely wrong and I would have trip over myself getting the track numbers to go to the correct tracks.

• How do you update the iTunes database?
    Select the tracks in Mp3Tag and drag them back to iTunes.

• What format do the files have (mp3? flac? wav?)
    MP4Nero)

• Which tag versions do you write? ID3Vx? APE?
    Not sure. How do I know?

I hope that these answers are somewhat clear. Help really appreciated!

In general: if you use a program like iTunes that reads the metadata then the metadata should be filled.
If you tell iTunes to incorporate the files in its library before they are tagged then you have to force iTunes to re-read the files. There are utilities around that do that for the whole library but it might be easier to delete the files from iTunes and then add them again. Otherwise iTunes will probably not update its own database.
The other way, to use iTunes as tag editor is not such a good idea as iTunes likes to keep the metadata in its database and does not write it to the files. THis would take an extra step.

If you have a choice, do not use MP4 nero style, use MP3 or ordinary mp4 files. Even though MP3tag supports nero style mp4s since a couple of versions ago I don't trust them.
And mp4 is not really superior to mp3 - there are far more utilities around that can help to get mp3s correct again than for mp4 files.

I don't know why you can't fill composer. Could be a problem of the nero stuff. But honestly, I don't know.

So, I would first of all get the tagging right with MP3tag. So perhaps, if you have a copy of some files, try to get them into plain mp4 format (or even mp3) and see if they behave better.
After the metadata is there as it should, you can deal with the iTunes problem.