AudioBook Tagging Wizard Project

My wife and I enjoy lots of audiobooks and I like to keep as much metadata as possible.

Currently, I do this manually in mp3tag's extended tag interface but it can be rather tedious.

What I would like to do, perhaps using the "Action" scripting, is to automate this a little bit and just have it prompt for various fields (ISBN, Narrator, etc) and then put those values in for me.

I haven't been able to find a way to have an Action prompt for information, however.

I'm not entire sure Action is the right place, but I'm not pulling this from a web service. I gather metadata manually from various places, amazon, audible, downpour, worldcat, library of congress, wikipedia, etc. and I don't really plan on automating that side of things.

Mostly I'd like to to prompt me like this:

"Enter ISBN-13 Number"
"Enter Series Title (if applicable)"
"Enter Series Number (if applicable)"
"Enter Reader"

... and then perform the tagging/actions.

What you probably want to do is customize the Tag Panel (the form-like panel positioned on the left by default). You can add fields with labels and tie them to particular tag fields. I find that the fields most worth setting in the Tag Panel are those that apply to multiple files (usually a music album, but an audio book would be similar). For fields that tend to be different within an album, such as title and track number, it's more convenient to use the columns on the right.

Go to Tools > Options > Tag Panel. When you create a new field you set the Field (the internal field name) and you set its Label (the text you see above the field in the Tag Panel). From this dialog you can also reorder these fields and you can remove any existing custom fields or the cover art display if you want to make some additional room.

You can also customize the columns on the right by right-clicking in the column header row. There are a couple more options here than in the Tag Panel. 'Name' is the text displayed in the header, 'Value' is the data displayed, 'Field' is the internal field name (usually Value and Field are the same) that data will be written to and 'Sort By' can be anything you like. Look at the existing custom columns to see how they've been defined.