Batch change cover art type

Hi all :slight_smile:
My entire music library is well tagged, complete with album art. Recently i bought a new phone - Nokia 5800 Xpress music.I tried transferring some music files to it but noticed that none of the album art showed up while playing it on the phone. I use iTunes to manage my library and found out that it stores album art type as 'Other' when my phone requires it to be 'Front Cover'.

I know I can the cover art type using Mp3tag but it allows to do so only for individual tracks or those having same art. How can i change the cover art type to 'Front Cover' for multiple albums simultaneously.

I saw that there is some field '%_cover_type%' that i can use as a column to find out which mp3 files have what type of art. But i cannot use it in any action and modify its value.

Any help would be appreciated as i am stuck and don't know how to proceed.
Thanks. Shweta

Hi, I was stuck by the same problem, but finally I figured it out by using the following set of actions:

1. Regular expression "ALBUM": " $"->""
  2. Regular expreesion "BAND": " $"->"" /* These 2 Steps delete the ending blank if there are any. */
  3. Format value "COMMENT": %band% - %album% /*I use "COMMENT" tag as a medium. You can use any other tag you like instead of COMMENT.*/
  4. Regular expression "COMMENT": "[\?"\\\/:\*<>|]" -> "_" /*Exchange the characters ?"\/:*<>| for _ , you know, these characters in "album" or "band" cannot be used as filename in Windows.*/
  5. Export cover to file "DOCUMENT.PATH\\%COMMENT%" /*Export the existing cover art to a given folder.*/
  6. Import cover from file "DOCUMENT.PATH\\%COMMENT%.jpg" /*Remeber to tick the box to "Delete existing cover art", and new added cover art will be set "front cover" as default.*/ !Notice! you may need to change the ".jpg " into ".png" or ".bmp" due to the original image type.
  7. Regular expression "COMMENT": "." -> "" /*Clear up the medium tag.*/

Hope this can also work out for you!
=^_^=

Hi,

Thank you for you great solution.

This also did the job for me (faster than your solution):

1. Export cover to file "d:\covers\%_DIRECTORY%\%_FILENAME%"

2. Import cover from file "d:\covers\%_DIRECTORY%\%_FILENAME%.jpg"

And as you wrote:
Remeber to tick the box to "Delete existing cover art", and new added cover art will be set "front cover" as default.
!Notice! you may need to change the ".jpg " into ".png" or ".bmp" due to the original image type.

But it would be nice to have direct access to setting the cover art type by a Action command.

Regards,
Jes

I have a similar question! :book:

I have my collection already tagged with front covers, but I'd like to add artist images as well. I have built a collection of pictures in a folder, but is there any way to make it scan [designated folder]\%artist%.jpg and insert it directly as artist image? Manually, this simply takes to long for a few hundred artists.

This is unfortunately currently not possible but on my internal wish list.

Has this been implemented?
Parsed trough changelog but did not find any information about this... :rolleyes:

Yes.
You can now define in the action "Import cover from file" which type the imported picture should get.
And you can keep the existing ones so that you can add a picture to the already embedded ones.

You are right, haven't checked my relevant Actions for ages...apparently there are new optins... :stuck_out_tongue: