Batch or bulk edit %Title% field

Hi all. I've spent a couple of hours trying to find a thread I was reading a few months back and I've had no luck, and I can't find anything similar. What I need to do is remove details from the Title field such as the artist, mp3 and special characters
e.g (Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth. Metallica
Here I just need to get rid of Metallica
or in this example

1. C'mon. The Screaming Jets
    I need to remove 01. and The Screaming Jets
    What would be the easiest way to do a bulk conversion or do I have to go through 1 by 1?

If I read

then I doubt that we are talking about the field TITLE but actually about the FILENAME.
But as you have a lot of data in the filename, I would suggest that you first retrieve that and save it in the tag fields.
Converter>Filename-Tag would harvest 01. C'mon. The Screaming Jets with mask:
%track%. %title%. %artist%
and once you have transferred all the data into the corresponding fields, then use Converter>Tag-Filename and construct a new filename with e.g.
Format String %title%

Hi ohremkino.
Thank you for the reply, I've been down that road and tried that, I even just went and did what you have suggested and it didn't work. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but all my files with just the song/ title name and nil else, show up in my filename exactly the same, which is the way I want it.
So I after messing with converting with Convert Filename I was getting nowhere, so I assume the problem is in the details of the Title. If I manually change the title it fixes the filename.
example Filename = 01. C'mon. The Screaming Jets.mp3 and the Title = 01. C'mon. The Screaming Jets
the filename is set to %Title% only.

The data harvesting relies on an accurate representation of the pattern consisting of assignment to fields and separators between the fields. And accuracy means down to the exact space character and punctuation.
So if you are in doubt, show us a screendump of a real filename.

Yes, exactly. And that is the way it is meant to be. Yet, what the filename looks like depends a lot on what you do to create it.
So, here also, a screendump or a more detailed description what you do and what data is in which tag fields would help a lot.
Honestly: fiddling just with the filename - which is unstructured data - is much more difficult than to compose a new filename from structured tag field data. So the first step would be to get some structured data.

1 Like