Batch transfer of tag from one folder to another

Hello again,

I have 2 folders, one with all music at 320kbps for playing on my hifi via the pc, the other is 96kbps to put on my phone or cd's for the car to minimise space.

The problem I have is that I saved all the music from cd onto the pc at 320kbps and sprted out all it's tag data so it is all perfect, then I used realone(any better file converter for free out there?) to convert the files from 320 to 96 kbps in a batch convert but it didn't save most of the tag data. (about 6000 files) I would like to know if there is any way I can just copy all the tag data across from the 320 files to the 96 files as the file names will be the same, only the 'tag number', 'path location' and 'bit rate' will be different.

Many thanks in advance for any help, I will check back Sunday night, cheers.

Darfyddi

Yes, just select the good files and press [Ctrl+C] to copy the tags, then select the other files and press [Ctrl+V] to paste the tags.

Note: the files of the two folders must be listed in the same order.

Hi Darfyddi,

For the conversion of MP3 files to a lower bitrate MP3 you could also simply use a batch file, provided you have the free LAME on your computer.

@echo off
title MP3 to MP3 96 ABR - all files in directory
dir /b *.mp3 > FileList.txt
for /f "delims=" %%i in (FileList.txt) do (
"full-path-to\lame.exe" --decode "%%~ni.mp3" "%%~ni.wav"
echo.
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto error
rename "%%~ni.mp3" "old%%~ni.mp3"
"full-path-to\lame.exe" --preset 96 --ignore-tag-errors --tt "%%~ni" --tv "TENC=LAME v3.98.2 - 96ABR" "%%~ni.wav" "%%~ni.mp3"
echo.
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto error
for %%d in ("%%~ni.wav") do del %%d
echo.
)
for %%d in (FileList.txt) do del %%d
echo.
echo.
echo -- Transcoding OK
goto end
:error
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo ---- ERROR IN TRANSCODING ---- batch process stopped
:end
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
pause
exit

Save this in a file called f.i. "MP3to96kbps.bat" and place that in the in the directory where the context menu items are saved (on WinXP this is something like "C:\Documents and Settings\your-Windows-username\SendTo").
Just right-click in Explorer on any MP3 file and all MP3's in that directory will be converted.

Ok, thank you both.

The LAME thing looks really scary, I shall give it a go soon though and see what happens.....

Cheers