Success! Many thanks to ohrenkino for all his suggestions.
After a number of trials I've managed to get tags transferred from all my MP3 files to the WMA ones. However, the discussion at
claims that absolute path names MUST be given in each line of the export file. (I was, in fact, unable to perform an import until I included %_path%.) The complete list of requirements given in the above discussion is:
- No empty lines in the textfile. <= The csv file in my case
- Identical amount of lines in textfile and selected tracks within Mp3tag.
- Each line in the textfile must have an absolute filepath entry.
- Import tag mask must have a "%_path%" entry.
- The binding relation is the absolute filepath.
For the benefit of anyone else who may be attempting a similar moving of tags, here is list of all the steps that I ended up performing:
Make sure that the subdirectory names + filenames (except for the mp3/wma extensions, of course) are identical for both the MP3 and the WMA files. In my case, the MP3 files are stored in subdirectories (one subdirectory per album) of "F:\00-MP3 Music" and the WMA files are in subdirectories of "F:\00-WMA Music".
Start Mp3tag and select the top-level directory (e.g. F:\00-MP3 Music) containing all the MP3 files. All the MP3 files should be listed in the right hand panel. Now select File>Export... and choose the csv option. Use the edit option (the icon with the pencil on the right side of the Export Configuration window) to select which tag fields you want transferred to the WMA files. In my case the new configuration is:
$loopend()build on %_date% with %_app% - the universal Tag editor - http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
where for clarity I've inserted a blank line between each "real" line. (Note the use of the odd character ` as a delimiter. This character is used because it does not occur in any other context.) It seems necessary to specify %_path% as one of the fields to be exported; otherwise, the fields to be exported are specific to a given situation.
I gave the export file a name of "mp3tag.csv" and it will be stored in the current working directory (F:\00-MP3 Music, in my case).
The export file needs to be edited as follows:
=> The top level directory name must be changed to specify the directory containing the WMA files. In my case, this meant changing F:\00-MP3 Music to F:\00-WMA Music.
=> All .mp3 file extensions must be changed to .wma
=> Delete the first & last lines of the csv file that just contain descriptive information.
=> Optionally, any extra spaces located BEFORE a ` delimiter character can be removed.
- Now the IMPORT can be attempted. Start Mp3tag and select the top-level WMA directory (F:\00-WMA Music, in my case). All the WMA files should be showing in the right hand panel. Use CTRL-A to select all these files. Now go to Convert > Text file - Tag. When prompted, enter the full pathname for the csv file that was edited in step #2. Then enter the appropriate template string to identify each field in that csv file. In my case, the template is:
Again, only the %_path% seems to be mandatory.
At this point I'd STRONGLY suggest using the "Preview" option to make sure that that all is well. After generating the preview be sure to look at the BOTTOM of the displayed information to make sure no errors have been logged!
Assuming the preview looks file, just click on the OK option to execute the import "for real"!
I can't guarantee that the above steps will work in all cases, but hopefully they will give sufficient guidance when similar operations are required.