C&P from Websites (Enumeration)

With a live concert recording, the question always arises as to whether you should chop up the recording into tracks or whether you want the whole concert as a single music file.

I often opt for 1 music file, especially if otherwise the closed character of the concert is lost and sometimes simply because of the bad habit of the music industry to cut the tracks in such a way that a new track always begins with music and the introductory commentary of a track is appended to the end of the previous track. I then include a track listing in a comment field in cases of a single music file.

Unfortunately, when copying excerpts from websites, I keep encountering the problem of stubborn lists, where the track numbers cannot be copied together with the text.
Example:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machmalauter_Live#Title

Many websites can be helped with browser extensions that prepare a website for better readability (e.g. Print friendly, Just Read, Mercury Reader, etc.) With this type of enumerations, none of the ones I know of work and I always have to add the sequence of numbers by hand .

Does anyone know a solution? I generally use Chrome.

I tried a couple different methods, and nothing was able to grab track numbers. Interesting problem!

I always slice my live concerts into tracks. I've never even though about leaving it in one file. But as I think about it, that's more "the way I've always done it", than any specific reason. But it just seems confusing to leave it as one file.

Industry standard is to start the track roughly when the music starts, or very shortly before. Any dialog between songs is left appended to the previous song. It's not a "bad habit", and it makes sense. If you're the type that listens to all of that (and I am), then it doesn't really matter where it's technically located. And if you're the type that likes to jump to certain songs, then you really don't want to hear several minutes of jabbering before they play the song.

1 Like

I would also prefer individual tracks.
If the source is something that I can edit to my preferences, then I would even separate the introductory parts or the crowd interaction parts from the music parts and give it a sensible title.
Like that I would have the total control:
I can listen to the whole concert,
I can jump to a certain track and I can opt-in to listen also to the introduction or the part inbetween the other performances.

Then it is not a bad habit but a bad standard :wink:

The best solution is if in such cases the intro would be a separate track (as is sometimes done). Then the music listener has the choice if he wants to use a single track from a concert separately for his own compilation.
I think that an intro at the end of a piece of music for the upcoming track, which then doesn't fit with it, is a much more inappropriate solution than hearing the appropriate introduction at the beginning of a track.

I mostly do it the same way and in some cases even use a fade-out, because with MP3s it is often more important to listen to single tracks.
But in some cases the complete concert ist important for me and sometimes I keep both, single Tracks and 1 track for the whole concert.

This is probably due to the handling:
Fading out or cutting off at the end is easier than winding forward to the correct position where the music starts ...

Mainly I do it because I hate abrupt endings during the applause.

Agree to disagree. I listen to a lot of live concerts, and many have a minute or two of yakking between songs. Creating separate tracks could potentially double the number of tracks. I already have a 30 track live show, I really don't want a 50 track version.

People either listen to the concert as a flow, or they skip songs. Those two choices probably cover 98% of listeners. Doing it the way it's done now (and been done for decades) creates the best experience for BOTH of these groups. Doing it differently to benefit an insignificant number of listeners makes no sense.

my .02

There are no numbers! What you have is a bulleted list, but one where the web designer has chosen to display numbers instead of bullets.
A cumbersome solution would be to copy/paste track data into column 2 of a spreadsheet, then go to column 1 and type 1 2 3 in the top three cells. Select all 3 cells and extend the series downwards. Hardly seems worth it if you have only a few tracks. Worth if if you want to numerate lots of data in one go.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the education!

I noticed it myself in the meantime. If you open the article in Wikipedia in edit mode you can see that there are no numbers but just the symbol "#" in all lines.

I found a workaround:
Convert the Website to PDF, i.e. with chromes feature Print to pdf and c&p from the pdf.

1 Like