Can you pull tag vars from *directory* names?

I am undertaking the huge project of converting my entire 1000+ CD collection to MP3s format to load on a jukebox PC I plan to build. I have been looking for a program to help with ID3 tag editing, and after a few clunky programs, I found MP3Tag, which has been the best so far.

One thing I have not been able to figure out, though... Is there any way to base ID3 tag fields on information extracted from the directory that the MP3 resides in? My organization structure is like so:

c:\Massive Music Project\Band (Year) - Album\Track - Title.mp3

All of the info I need is present, but so far I have only been able to extract the Title from the mp3 filename itself, but I can't figure out any way to pull the Band, Year, and Album fields out of the directory.

The way it works now, I choose one directory, extract the Titles from the filenames, then manually input the Album, Year, Genre, and Artist, save the changes, and move on to the next directory. It's a lot better than it used to be (manually editing every individual MP3 through WinAMP), but it still gets to be tedious when you have hundreds of albums to go through.

If there is a way to do this, or if a method can be introduced in a future version, then I could just point MP3Tag to C:\Massive Music Project, recurse subdirectories, and hit the button. The only thing I would still have to manually input is Genre, and I would be content to just leave that blank if I had the ability to generate the rest of the tags on the fly.

Please let me know if there is some way to do this in version 2.27, or if a new version exists (or will soon exist) that can handle these types of conversions.

Thanks,
Pat

You can load the root directory, tell MP3Tag to parse subfolders as well, select all files and use the Filename - Tag ([ALT+2]) assistent with the following string:

%band% (%year%) - %album%\%track% - %title%

You can replace %band% with %artist% if you want. :slight_smile:

That was the first thing I tried, but it didn't work. I had downloaded v2.27 from a 3rd party site, so after reading your post, I figured the problem might be my version. I grabbed the latest and tried again, and this time it worked just right! I don't know if it's a new feature, or if I just had my syntax wrong, but now it's doing exactly what I want.

MP3Tag is now officially the best tag editor I have ever used. :slight_smile: