Cannot Change Tags

The files are not 0 bytes and they are playing fine.Also they are all named as -.mp3.
Please help me out :frowning:

I am having the same problem with Windows 7 with version 2.47b. What causes the error is opening the song in WMP 12. I could not open the song then try to edit it, but some of the songs I am messing with I am not sure if they are even titled correctly. Has any one found a solution that applies to this situation?

I am not quite sure, but: in Windows Vista the slideshow sidebar application was fed by wmp. If you edit in a folder that wmp watches then it could be that it tries to open (or even opens) the file you are currently editing.
To me it looks as though any editing program has to be really fast to grab a file before wmp does it.
I had trouble to move folders with folder.jpg in it as wmp (or the explorer) insisted to keep the thumbs.db file.
So, the combination of Windows 7 plus a NAS apparently slows down the file access that mp3tag and the rest of Windows get into conflict.
A remedy might be to dedicate a local path to editing and then moving the files to the external data storages...
But this is only a wild guess.

well this problem seems to still be around :frowning: I am editing a large number of files (using MP3 Tag 2.62 and Windows 7 Ultimate) - and many of them say file cannot be opened for writing

all the songs are on an internal hard drive - and the ones I;ve tested play just fine in iTunes

what's the latest on this problem?

I've been using MP3TAG for years under XP Pro on an external firewire-connected hard drive, and under Win 7 32 bit on that same machine, with no problems.

Migrated to a new 64 bit Win 7 machine, with the same drive connected by USB 3.0, and MP3TAG no longer modifies tags.

No error message, but when I edit a tag - any tag - move to a different song and then back to the one I modified, it is the way it was before I modified it.

I just tried the trick of setting MP3TAG to run as an administrator - both on the shortcut's Compatibility page and using the "Run as administrator" choice on its right-click menu, to no effect.

Same thing with setting it to run in compatibility mode for XP SP3. No effect.

I checked - I've never set Windows Media Player to monitor my library (I don't use it), and quitting Foobar2000, which does, made no difference.

Winamp, which I used to use for tagging but no longer monitors my library, can still change tags on items that were in its lbrary from before. MP3TAG reflects that those changes were in fact made.

Help!

Please check this thread
Compatibility Settings Windows 8 (UAC)
and the link to the Microsoft support page on how to change ownership.
You should add "everyone" to the files on the external drive.

Can't read German, and taking "/de" off the end of the URL in that thread didn't work.

Nevertheless, I spelunked through all "permissions" and "special permissions" buttons and tabs, starting not at the root of the drive - to avoid paths longer than 255 characters - but at the root of my music file tree - and gave "Everyone" every kind of permission and rights, and made sure that it was set to apply the changes to subfolders and files. (Nowhere did I come across any reference to "ownership" of files or folders.) Then I shut the machine down completely, in case it required a reboot to take.

No difference. As before, Mp3Tag will rename files based on tags, but will not let me edit or create tags.

If it had something to do with permissions or ownership, wouldn't that also prevent Winamp from editing the tags on the same files? Winamp has no problem.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling mp3tag, and even falling back to version 2.64, which is the oldest version I have - but, unfortunately, was the version with which I first noticed this problem, while still in 32 bit Win 7 (sorry if I was inaccurate about that earlier).

Is 2.63 available for download?

Update - fell all the way back to 2.39, the next-most-recent version up at the site. No difference, so it's obviously not a change in the program but in its environment.

HELP!

Following the link to the Microsoft support page should have redirected you to the one of your local language.
Anyway.

Check
Tools>Options>Mpeg
What kind of tags you read, write and delete.
And check if you have APE tags in the files.
APE tags have priority over V2.3 which has priority over V1 tags.
So it could be that you system shows APE tags but they to not get updated... Something like that.

Went to Tools>Options>Mpeg
APE was not checked under either Read or Write, so I checked both those boxes.
(Under Tools>Options>Ape, Mpc ... all boxes were already checked.)
Made no difference.

UPDATE: Problem Solved!

I noticed the toolbar icon for a floppy disk ("Daddy, what's a floppy disk?") at the very left, which said "Save" when I hovered over it.
Changed a tag and clicked that icon.
Popup appeared, saying "Saved tag in 1 of 1 files."
It was updated.
Tried editing the titles of two tracks, one after the other, and then hit Save.
Only the second track was updated - moving from one to to the next, the change to the first was not saved.
I prefer the older behavior, where moving from one track to the next saves the change to the track just left, so I went exploring in Tools>Options and found, under Tools>Options>Tags, the first checkbox, "Save tags when using arrow keys/single mouse click."
That was unchecked, so I checked it. (When was this default changed?)

Tag editing behavior back the way I'm used to.

Now my only, much less important, gripe is that as I use an alphabetcal heirarchy of folders for my music, I set the root of my heirarchy, which has four subfolders (A-G, H-M, N-S, and T-Z), as my starting folder.

On startup, the program used to show those four folders when I hit the Change Directory button, so I could then navigate to where I want to go.

I set it the same way as always, but hitting Change Directory now comes up at the top of my Desktop heirarchy, like Explorer, so setting a starting directory does nothing more than show that folder as highlighted when I scroll down to it. (Checking "subdirectories" on that page makes the program display all tracks in the whole heirarchy on start-up, which is horrible.)

I also liked the fact that once I had chosen an artist's folder and one of that artist's albums, hitting Change directory brought up the list where I already was, so I could go up one level and see the other albums by that artist. Now it always takes me back to the root of the Desktop heirarchy.

How do I restore those older behaviors?

PS Should I make this question a new thread?

What have you configured in Tools->Options->Directories?
Unless you configure a favourite directory and activate "Start from this directory" MP3Tag shows your last dircetory on a new startup.
In "Favourite Directory" you can define, where MP3Tag should start.

On the page Tools>Options>Directories I set the folder E:\Phil's Music Index, the root of my music folder tree, as my Favorite Directory and checked the box "start from this directory"

All that does when I click Change Directory is highlight that folder, but not focus on it. The directory Browser still opens up at the top of the list, above Desktop.

I still have to scroll all the way down through all the Libraries, other drives, and through drive E:'s other folders until I get to it, where it's highlighted.

It used to come up on that folder when I clicked Change Directory.

I tried checking the "subdirectories" box, both on the Options page and within the Browser window, which proceeded to catalog and list every track in my library, all intermixed, which is totally useless.

How do I get back to the prior behavior of opening focused on my Favorite Directory, so all I have to do is click on it to see the next level of folders?

Nor does the directory Browser remember what directory I was in either during a session or on the next startup - it just goes back to the top of the list above Desktop every time.

It's not a matter of not being able to change the configuration through those dialogs, since I was able to use them change the behavior back to updating a track's tags when I move to another.

On the page Tools>Options>Directories I set the folder E:\Phil's Music Index, the root of my music folder tree, as my Favorite Directory and checked the box "start from this directory"

All that does when I click Change Directory is highlight that folder, but not focus on it. The directory Browser still opens up at the top of the list, above Desktop.

I still have to scroll all the way down through all the Libraries, other drives, and through drive E:'s other folders until I get to it, where it's highlighted.

It used to come up on that folder when I clicked Change Directory.

I tried checking the "subdirectories" box, both on the Options page and within the Browser window, either of which proceeded to catalog and list every track in my library, all intermixed, which is totally useless.

How do I get back to the prior behavior of opening focused on my Favorite Directory, so all I have to do is click on it to see the next level of folders?

Nor does the directory Browser focus on whatever directory I was in either during a session or on the next startup - it just goes back to the top of the list above Desktop every time.

It's not a matter of not being able to change the configuration through those dialogs, since I was able to use them change the behavior back to updating a track's tags when I move to another.

PS Just updated to version 2.65a, which had no effect on this problem.

I think that this not a problem of MP3tag as the window you see is an explorer window.
You have to set the folder options in Windows Explorer in the General tab folder and there in the section "Navigation" to
x Show all folders
x Expand to current folder.

(My translations ... could be that they do not hit the correct wording).

I'm not talking about Explorer's behavior but that of the directory browser brought up inside Mp3Tag when you hit the "Change Directory" button on its toolbar. I was likening its behaviour to Explorer, not saying I was getting a real Explorer window.

But I tried what you suggested in Explorer.

No difference in Mp3Tag's behavior.

Oh, so apparently the behaviour is different depending on the localization ...

If I open a directory browser in Mp3tag with the explorer settings
x Show all folders

• Expand to current folder

then the browsing starts at "Computer".
With the settings
x Show all folders
x Expand to current folder
the browsing starts in the current folder ...

So the setting of the Windows Explorer do influence the Mp3tag browser window at least in my version.

Just double-checked: my settings are the same as yours, with both boxes checked, but the browsing starts not even at Computer but above that at Desktop, above the Libraries entry.

I'll try rebooting my computer to see if it makes any difference in Mp3Tag, but I did learn one useful thing from this - I hate Explorer's always opening a new window when I click on a folder in the right-hand window, and have gotten in the habit of using the drop-down lists from the address bar to avoid that. By selecting to open all folders in the same window, I avoided that problem - and it took effect immediately in Explorer.

Perhaps we come back to the
Tools>Options>Directory
settings:
I've got:
x Sub-directories
Default folder

• start in this folder
    Folder for covers: %_directory%

These settings lead to the behaviour that I described.

Curiouser and Couriouser

I have a 32 bit Win 7 Pro laptop (upgraded from XP) and a 64 bit Win 7 Pro desktop.

Both are running version 2.65 of Mp3tag, which is a 32 bit program, and is thus run from the "Program Files (x86)" folder on the 64 bit machine.

The 32 bit machine's copy of Mp3Tag, which is configured the same as the 64 bit machine's copy, acts the way I was used to Mp3tag behaving in the past: clicking the Change Directory button brings up Mp3tag's file browser focused on my favorited folder, expanded to show its subfolders.

The 64 bit machine's copy gives the annoying behaviour of requiring me to scroll forever to get to the highlighted favorited folder.

I'm stumped, but it appears to be something about how 64 bit Win 7 treats 32 bit programs.

No. it is not.
I have a 32 Bit Windows 7, a 64 Bit Windows 7 and a 64 Bit Windows 8 and all behave the same with directories in mp3tag..

If I start MP3tag it opens my defined favourite directory and starts reading the mp3-files inside.
If I want to change to another directory the folder browsing window has its focus on this favourite directory.

If I have changed to another directory and want to change the directory again, the focus is on the current directory.

Only if the favourite directory or the current directory do not exist anymore, mp3tag sets the focus on the program files folder of mp3tag.

And only if i don't activate in the Windows-Explorer settings, that it should unfold to the current folder in the left panel My Computer is highlighted but the focus is still on the current folder, which you can see in the right panel if there are subfolders in this current folders, which are shown.

Expand to the current folder