Cannot open file for writing

When assigning from Discogs in Win10. Saving WMA, which may be part of the problem. But what's funny is that if I say "yes" to continue to each file in the directory, it works. They don't show until I select any one file, and then every other file. Then they have all been opened and saved after all. Pain in the butt, but an effective workaround. What's also funny is that they save fine later when changing filenames from tags (ALT-1).

Hope this helps someone else who is having this problem.

It sounds to me that the files are used by another program, which also can be a background process of Windows Media Player or any other player.

Can you check whether this happens really all the time or just after handling those files in another program?

Reason for my follow-up here is that I simply cannot reproduce it locally. I've just created a bunch of fresh WMA files for testing purposes and they can be tagged without this error message, even from Discogs.

Thank you for looking into this, Florian.

Let me give you more details.

I am recording from vinyl using a program called LPRecorder v8.0.1 from cfbsoftware on XP. It is a very old program which I will be upgrading when my laptop dies. It converts to wav. I then use the companion program LPRipper v8.0.1 which breaks the wav into tracks. It then converts them to wma. I then have to copy to thumb drive and transfer to my main desktop. They are not locked or protected; no other programs that could be accessing the files are open (file mgrs or media players).

The problem is inconsistent. It seems to only happen with virgin ripped files. When I open a directory with previously ripped and tagged files (no doubt tagged with an earlier version of Mp3tag), the problem does not exist, but that's hard to verify.

I suspect it is caused by something that the old version of LPRipper does to the tags. I can send you screenshots that will illustrate what is happening. I can also send one of the problematic files after ripping and before and after tagging.

Meanwhile, I will download a trial copy of the latest LPRipper, and see if that solves the problem.

How is your "thumb drive" formated?
NTFS or FAT32?

Let's close this issue. I've decided to abandon the laptop. Everything is fine on my production system.
Thanks again.

Followup: the problem lies in the WMAs. The same errors occur on my main system when I convert to WMA before tagging, and under no other circumstances. So neither XP, the laptop, the old software, nor the flash drive caused the errors.

The solution is to tag before converting to WMA.

And I may be one of the few people in the world still converting to WMA, so don't waste any time thinking about it.

Can you maybe send such a file that shows this issue, i.e., the file before tagging?

"Sorry, the file you are trying to upload is not authorized (authorized extensions: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, src, mte, mta, log, dmp, zip)." :slightly_smiling_face:

But look here....

Unfortunately, no success in reproducing the issue. I've filled in all the fields, added a 5MB album cover and it was possible to save the tag without error message.

I'm glad to hear it's not reproducible. I'll just continue to tag the wavs first, and the problem can remain a mystery on my systems.
Thanks for looking into it, Florian.

Sorry, one more comment for clarification.
I also just tried to add a tag by manually filling in fields, and it saved the file without error as well.
The error only occurred when I was assigning all tracks in an album automatically from Discogs.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.