Cannot rename file

I am using MP3tag for some years on windows. Since some month I get the following error when I try to rename files:

Datei "E:\Temp\Musik\Grundhass - Stromkastenphilosophie\Grundhass - Stromkastenphilosophie - 01 Intro.mp3" konnte nicht in "D:\Musik\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\Grundhass\Stromkastenphilosophie\01 - Grundhass - Intro
.mp3" umbenannt werden.
Die Syntax für den Dateinamen, Verzeichnisnamen oder die Datenträgerbezeichnung ist falsch.

The format string D:\Musik\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\%artist%\%album%\$num(%track%,2) - %artist% - %title% has worked for years. Any ideas?

Perhaps ....
total length of filename (incl. path and drive) more than 254 characters
Access rights not sufficient.
Strange: why is there a line break in front of the extension? Just a copy problem?

The string worked for years, access rights are ok. Started application as admin. The line break was just a copy problem. Length should also be no problem, as i tried to write to d:\temp and got the same error. I tried Musicbrainz to rename files and it worked. It's just MP3Tag that has a problem.

• After the failed renaming and closing of Mp3tag, what are the contents of %APPDATA\Mp3tag\Mp3tagError.log

• Are there any other programs accessing the file at the time of renaming?
    You can check with Microsoft/SysInternals Process Explorer
    Go to Find > Find Handle or DLL. In the Handle or DLL substring text box, type the path to the file (e.g. E:\Temp\Musik\Grundhass - Stromkastenphilosophie\Grundhass - Stromkastenphilosophie - 01 Intro.mp3) and click Search. All processes which have an open handle to that file should be listed.

No other programs are accessing the files. The problem appears with any MP3 file, on any harddrive. I also tried an USB drive as destination, same error. Copying are renaming the files with other tools (Explorer, Musicbrainz, Total Commander) works without any problems.

The content of Mp3tagError.log:

================================================================================
Mp3tag v2.86e - 11.03.2018 - 13:26:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS-Version: Windows 10, 64-bit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build: Mar  9 2018 18:26:15
AppPath:  60.420.665.344 Bytes frei (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag\)
DataPath: 60.420.665.344 Bytes frei (C:\Users\Marco\AppData\Roaming\Mp3tag\data\)
TempPath: 60.420.665.344 Bytes frei (C:\Users\Marco\AppData\Local\Temp\Mp3tag v2.86e\)
================================================================================

The ownership of the files has to be in such a way that either access is granted to everybody or that the current user-id is also the owner of the files.
Being admin is not enough in many cases.

I created the files, I am the owner, other programs have no problems. Property changes with MP3Tag are working. The only thing not working is renaming.
Screenshot from a sample MP3

So what has changed in your system since the last time you successfully renamed a file with MP3tag?
I have no problems to rename files with version 2.86e.

You (and the Mp3tag.exe process) also need permission to create files and folders at D:\Musik\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\ given the format string you've mentioned in the OP.

Okay, after inspecting the error message from the OP again, I don't think it's a permission problem. Given the details at

Die Syntax für den Dateinamen, Verzeichnisnamen oder die Datenträgerbezeichnung ist falsch.

I'd rather guess that there is some kind of special, possibly not visible, character in the format string. Maybe a return at the end? @msrberlin, can you check again, also and especially around - and spaces?