Can't access file via secure bookmark

Hi Florian,
Thanks for the greatly useful app. It's a perfect app to organize tag for my music library.
I have an issue with the app when using it on my second Macbook, though.
When trying to edit any metadata, it's said that I can't access the file on my external hard drive. I already gave Mp3Tag full disk access on Security & Privacy.
When searching here, I found someone had the same issue and solved with "defaults delete app.mp3tag.Mp3tag SecurityScopedBookmarks" in Terminal app.
I tried that several times, restart Macbook and everything but the issue still there.
It's totally fine when using Mp3Tag on the other (old) Macbook even though once in a while, Mp3Tag announced that there're some files can't access and edit tag.
My MacOS Big Sur 11.5.1 and Mp3Tag version 1.2.3 (51)
Please advise
Thanks

Hello and welcome!

Can you please try navigating to a root folder on the external drive via Cmd+O and load the files. After that, try tagging the files in one of the subfolders that didn't work before. Let me know how it goes.

Hi, thanks for the swift respond.
I tried your advice, the problem still persist, not only in that subfolder but in all files on the external drive.

OK, that's very strange. Can you give some details about the external drive, also which file system you're using there.

In addition it would be helpful to see which error messages Mp3tag logs to Console.app in the process. Can you open Console.app, turn on streaming logging, reproduce the issue and lookout for any messages from Mp3tag.app or sandboxd.

Hi,
My external drive is Seagate Backup Plus Drive 6TB, using Microsoft NTFS. I can access and edit files/tags on it easily with my old Macbook using Mp3Tag.
On this new Macbook, I can edit filenames using Finder but can't do anything using Mp3Tag.

Here what I found on Console app, searching for Mp3tag

error 09:59:22.104253+0700 Mp3tag Error resolving secure bookmark: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4 "The file doesn’t exist."
default 09:59:22.104278+0700 Mp3tag Cannot access write file file:///Volumes/Seagate%20Backup%20Plus%20Drive/Classical/John%20Metcalfe%20-%20The%20Appearance%20of%20Colour/01%20Appear.flac via secure bookmark
error 09:59:22.490068+0700 Mp3tag Cannot access file "/Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Classical/John Metcalfe - The Appearance of Colour/01 Appear.flac" via secure bookmark (accessDenied(file:///Volumes/Seagate%20Backup%20Plus%20Drive/Classical/John%20Metcalfe%20-%20The%20Appearance%20of%20Colour/01%20Appear.flac))

Here what I found on Terminal, using "defaults read app.mp3tag.Mp3tag SecurityScopedBookmarks"
{
"/Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus Drive" = {length = 856, bytes = 0x626f6f6b 58030000 00000410 30000000 ... 04000000 00000000 };
}

Thanks for the details! Everything looks good, except for the error messages. Are you also using macOS Big Sur 11.5.1 on the other Mac where the external drive works correctly?

Hi,
Yes, at first I also assume if the MacOS version cause the problem but both Macbook use the same MacOS Big Sur 11.5.1, both use Intel processors. Yesterday, I had to plug the external drive to my old Macbook and can use Mp3Tag from there perfectly.

I'm having the same issue OP is describing. I hadn't used the app for a few weeks/months and today it gave me that error. I used your Cmd+O suggestion and it didn't work at first but it must have been because of what directory I selected. I chose one in my user directly and then it asked for permission, now it is working. this was on my mac, not external drive. (Apple Macbook Air, silicon/m1, big su 11.5)

adding folders other ways didn't trigger the permission prompt.

I've experimented a little bit regarding this issue and it seems that macOS Big Sur has only read access to NTFS drives by default. I'm still a bit unsure about that, but this is was my experiments show.

From what I've researched, there are plenty of vendors that offer NTFS drives for macOS and given that you're able to write to that filesystem, I'm assuming you have one of those installed in your system.

Assuming my analysis is correct so far, is it possible that the problems result from two different versions or vendors of said filesystem driver?

I installed the same software on both Macbooks: Microsoft NTFS for Mac by Paragon Software, same version 15.8.108.
It's very strange!
I have to continue using the old Macbook to edit tag, working fine except 1-2 tracks can't edit out of few hundreds tracks (still don't know why and how to fix)