Can't add MusicBrainz ARTISTS tag to Mp3tag

I've spent a few hours searching here and other forums but I can't seem to find anything on this, which means someone will probably respond pretty quickly with a link to exactly what I was looking for.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my mp3 collection using MusicBrainz Picard as the first step. I have both Picard and Mp3tag set to use ID3v2.3 (in addition to v1). Picard seems to have an "Artists" tag where it stores multiple artists for a track, using either the ; or / separators.

I've tried adding the "Artists" field to Mp3tag, after opening some tracks tagged by Picard, but Mp3tag doesn't list the "Artists" field anywhere so I can't add it. I'm probably missing something pretty simple here but I'm stuck and would appreciate any help offered.

You could check if you already have the field ARTISTS in the files by looking at the extended tags dialogue (Alt-T).
ARTISTS is the name of a (user-defined) field that you simply have to type in in the field selector.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I was fundamentally misunderstanding how the fields work, thinking that "Artists" needed to appear in the mp3tag list for me to add it. Your clarification that they are user-defined helped me follow the steps to customize the columns and tag panel and know I can see the Artists tag. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.