Change track numbers

Renumbering file names and track numbers from multiple CD so the track numbers are consecutive from first to last disk.

1. Copy all disks to PC, putting in separate folders;

Example: If the story name is MARY'S LAMB, and has six CDs,
    a. Make a main folder called MARY'S LAMB
    b. Then make six sub folders labeled ML1 through ML6
    c. Copy CD1 into sub folder ML1, etc.

2. Open Mp3tag program. (By the way, I put an Icon on my desktop for the program)

3. Click on "File" at top of menu.

4. Click on "Change Directory"

5. Select your story folder, "MARY'S LAMB" and click on it.

6. Click on folder "ML1", then then click "OK". All the tracks in that folder will be drawn into program.

7. Highlight some or all the tracks by your favorite method (see 8a below).

You can click on EDIT in the top menu, then click "Select all files",
    or, I like to just by pass that and hit keys "Ctrl a". All the files will be highlighted.

8. See how many tracks there are and write them down on a piece of paper. I usually use scrap paper and, for instance, write the folder name, "ML1" = 1 - 99 (or however many tracks there are.
    8a. If there are more than 9 tracks then you will want to make sure there is a preceding "0" (zero) ahead of numbers 1 through 9.

Highlight just tracks 1 - 9.

9. Open "Tools" on top menu. Click on "Autonumbering Wizard".

10. Beginning at number should read "1", if not, fill in the number.

11. Ending number should read "9", if not, fill in the number.

12. Make sure there is a check mark in the square preceding the line, "Leading zeros for tracknumbers (01, 02, ...)"

13. Click OK. The track numbers (in two places) will now read "01 - 09".

14. Now, highlight all tracks by your favorite method. I use "Ctrl a".

15. Open "Convert" on top menu again. Click on "Tag - Filename". (or use the shortcut they show you).

16. Fill in the "Format String" AudioTrack 0%track%

Note that AudioTrack is one word. Note the space between AudioTrack and 0 (zero). No space between 0 and %track%.
    You may omit the words "AudioTrack" if you wish.

17. Click "OK".

Two things have happened; All the tracks have now been numbered 001 through 099. (Three digits)
    The new track numbers have been saved in your folder "ML1"

18. Click on "File" at top of menu.

19. Click on "Change Directory"

20. Select your story folder, "MARY'S LAMB" and click on it.

21. Click on folder "ML2", then then click "OK". All the tracks in that folder will be drawn into program.

22. Highlight all the tracks by your favorite method.

You can click on EDIT in the top menu, then click "Select all files",
    or, I like to just by pass that and hit keys "Ctrl a". All the files will be highlighted.

23. See how many tracks there are and write them down on your piece of paper. Write the folder name, "ML2" = 1 - 99 &100 - 198

Now you will know where to start numbering the second folder,"ML2" and the third folder, "ML3.

24. Open "Tools" on top menu. Click on "Autonumbering Wizard".

25. Fill in the beginning number "100".

26. Fill in the ending number "198". (The ending number will be the sum of tracks in folders "ML1" (99) and "ML2" (99), which is 198, the total of the two folders.)

27. It is okay to leave in the check mark in the square preceding the line, "Leading zeros for tracknumbers (01, 02, ...)", as the program won't see 01 through 09 again.

28. Click OK. The track numbers in the "Track" column (way to the right) will now read "100 - 198".

29. Open "Convert" on top menu again. Click on "Tag - Filename". (or use the shortcut they show you).

30. Fill in the "Format String" AudioTrack %track%. Omit the 0 (zero) this time.

Note that AudioTrack is one word. Note the space between AudioTrack and %track%.
    You may omit the words "AudioTrack" if you wish. (This is for "Cube" MP3 players.)

31. Click "OK".

Two things have happened; All the tracks have now been numbered 100 through 198. (Three digits)
    The new track numbers have been saved in your folder "ML2"
    Note also that the track numbers in both the "Filename" and "Track" columns are now identical.

32. Continue on through the other folders, changing the Track numbers and Filenames until all are numbered consecutively.

33. Now, highlight and move all the lines from folders ML1 through ML6 into the main folder named MARY'S LAMB".

34. Delete the now empty "ML" folders.
    You will now have, in one folder, all the tracks numbered consecutively.

I think you're doing that a bit too complicated.

1. You don't need to do numbering for 1-9 and 10+ separately. If you want to have numbers with two digits, why not use the corresponding option in the auto numbering wizard? You could also write single digit track numbers to all files and then create a new Format values action, select TRACK as field and use $num(%track%,2) as format string.

If you want ML2 to have numbers starting from 1, there is an option for resetting the counter for each directory. If you want to have the numbers ongoing, don't check that option and Mp3tag will start numbering for ML2 where ML1 ended.