changing TITLE field in bulk

Hello again:

I have been trying to load music files on a USB and play them (in order) in my car. (I have a Ford car with a "SYNC" system).

Despite all my efforts, the system in my car is picking up the files on my USB and playing them in alphabetical order by TITLE. I have tried renumbering the filenames but it doesn't work. The system always looks at the TITLE field and plays the songs alphabetically by title.

I have tried, without success, to change the TITLE field. I would like to place numbers in front of the TITLE FIELD (01, 02, 03) but I cannot see how.

If this is possible, can someone tell me how to do it. It would be a great help! Thanks so much!

alan

Use the function Convert>Tag-Tag (or create an action of the type "Format value") for TITLE
Format string: $num(%track%,2)_%title%

This puts the track number with padded zeros in front of that what was in the title field before. So run this only once, otherwise you get 2 track numbers at the beginning of the title field.

I used the _ as separator as it is hardly ever used in everyday naming of titles. So if you want to get rid of the track number in front again, it is easier to use the pattern with an underscore as separator.

Actually, I hope that you use a copy of the original files.

1 Like

thanks, i will try it. Will I have to do it for every track in the folder?

Well, if you want to sort all files by track number - probably.
But: the function works on all selected files in one go.
So if you select more than one file, it works for all of them.

Hello again:

Well, good news and bad news......

the good news is that I selected all the files on my thumb drive, and I was able (using the tag function described in the earlier post) successully number all the title names in one shot with 01, 02, 03, etc.

So now, I had a thumb drive with 24 music files, the titles were changed and numbered, the track numbers were changed and numbered corrected to my liking. However, believe it or not, when I put the thumb drive into my car, the system (FORD SYNC) played the 24 songs in alphabetical order. THe song names came up on my dashboard WITHOUT the numbered (01, 02, 03).

I don't know where it was picking up the song titles from, but apparently there is still another field that has the original title names without my re-numbering and my car system is picking up that field.

I don't want to give up but....... does anyone have any ideas?

alan

check which tag versions are in the files and which you modify.
For this scroll the files list to the right where you should a column that shows you the tag versions like ID3V2.3 ID3V1 APE

If there are files that have APE tags, then it is rather likely that they are out of sync but still read by the player.

Set File>Options>Tags>Mpeg
so that you read and delete all tag versions but write only V2.3 (and possibly V1) but no APE.

THen cut and paste the tags in your files with the functions from the files list context menu.

wow, thanks again for your suggestion.... i will try and report back!

hello again:

Well, I do not see any APE files. I am attaching two screenshots of the 24 items, and all the columns, in case you see something I do not see (I am a bit of a novice with all this stuff).

Additionally, I did fine someone who has a car with the "FORD SYNC" (music) system that I have. He says that SYNC reads the file tags, not the filename. Dont know if that helps any, I thought I changed the file tags already.

You did not tell us that you have MP4-files. These don''t have ape-tags.

As you have filename and title-tag with the tracknumer and the tracknumer is existing too, I can see no reason why the music-system does not care about.
The only reasons I can think of:
Your system does not support MP4-files properly or it looks not for all characters in the title-tag but maybe only for the first 10.
You should test this by placing the tracknumber at the start of the title-tag instead as now at the end.
Just for testing I would create some duplicates files with only the tracknumer in the title-field.

Then the OP did not use the suggested format string which would have placed the track number at the beginning ...
I wonder if it "does not work" if the hints were used as suggested.

hello all:

Well, i think i messed up because I was working with M4A files instead of MP3. I hve converted the files to MP3 and will give this a try. will let you all know results tomorrow. thanks!

alan

Putting the tracknumber at the end of the title mormaly should work too with the example in the screenshot, because there is no real individual title but the same one with the tracknumber at the end.
The title seems to be the album with a tracknumber at the end.
But as soon as there is a real individual title it is clear that putting the tracknumber at the end does not create a sorting for the tracknumber.

Maybe the given screenshot-example (John Pizarelli) is misleading and alanneilh ony tested it with other files where the title is not the same for all tracks.

Look what i have found last summer
I Have a Ford Explorer 2017 and confirm that it works

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...s-out-of-order/

Post #10

I believe I made some progress here. I worked with a different CD this time, and the first thing I did was go to my audio program (ASV Audio Editor) and I converted every track to MP3. Then, I brought them into MP3TAG and selected one of the tracks at random. Once selected, I did a right-click and chose Extended Tags. Then, (in metadata) I highlighted the TITLE field and click on the EDIT FIELD icon. From here, I was able to add '01' to the TITLE. I did this for three of the songs, put the entire selection on my USB drive, put it in my car and..... IT WORKED!

I have attached a copy of the screenshot. So now, it would be great if there was a way to automate this... Is there a way to change all of the TITLE fields (in metadata) at once and have them re-number the selections? They can use the same numbering as would be in the FILENAME field. thanks!

I took a look at this URL page, and it looks like these people came to the same conclusion as I did with my post below.

again, I used ASV Audio Editor to convert tracks from 1 cd to MP3. Then, I brought them into MP3TAG and selected one of the tracks at random. Once selected, I did a right-click and chose Extended Tags. Then, (in metadata) I highlighted the TITLE field and click on the EDIT FIELD icon. From here, I was able to add '01' to the TITLE. I did this for three of the songs, put the entire selection on my USB drive, put it in my car and..... IT WORKED! (just be sure you don't have SHUFFLE selected). They played in order of the TITLE in metadata.

see screen shot. So now, it would be great if there was a way to change all of the TITLE fields (in metadata) at once and have them re-number the selections? They can use the same numbering as would be in the FILENAME field. thanks!

Ohrenkino gave you the answer in post no. 2 and again hinted you to this solution in post no. 6:

If your track-tag is not filled and like in your example the tracknumber is in front of the filename you can also take:
Format string: $left(%filename%,2)%title%

If you really want so you can replace the underscore to a blank in the format string.

And note that you can only do this once because after each execution you end up with 2 additional track-numbers in front of the title.

BTW:
It is not necessary to use the extended tag-view to add something in front of the content of tag-field.
You can do this in the tag-panel and in the column-view too.

And last a good advice:
Always (especially as a newbie) test actions like this with a copy of your files and not with the originals. Mp3Tag is very mighty and can easily destroy your tags with one click.