character encoding greek to unicode

Hello,

I'm struggling with converting some .mp3 files with apparently some greek character encoding to universal readable unicode. First of all I don't know which format was chosen. And the problem is that even mp3tag doesn't display the tags correctly. Look:

On the left you see the file browser with the file names for comparison. So should the id3 tags look like.
I haven't done any editing in mp3tag. The files are shown like that without me having done anything.

Any help?

Setup: mp3tag on OS X 10.10 Yosemite with Wine
(if that's the issue it would be no problem to get access to a Win 7 / 8 or 10 machine)

MP3diags has a function that converts strings to unicode under the assumption of a certain code page.
And foobar, I think, has also such a function.
Then again: which OS are you using? I think XP lacked a couple of screen font characters to display all characters correctly.

Yeah I heard of foobar but I'm currently running mp3tag on OS X 10.10 Yosemite with Wine.

If mp3tag isn't able to convert the character encoding format, I could get access to a Windows machine with foobar.

I am still not sure if this is a problem of the conversion.
Is it really MP3tag that has tagged the files like that?
I mean: the tag panel look strange in your screendump, yet the files list looks ok.

You can check the character encoding with the field
%_id3v2_character_encoding%

because it could be that some other application has not written the tags according to standard.

No, mp3tag didn't tag the files like that. I've never said so. I got the files like that and now want to convert the format to a readable one.

Please check my screenshot, I set it already to the second row. As you see it says UTF-16.

there is this "important topics" thread about unicode:
/t/2785/1

And yes: please try a genuine Windows system first.
And also I would seriously check the files with mp3diags

I solved my problem now by using foobar2000 and the chacon plugin on a windows machine. Detailed instructions can be found here.

Have a look there ... it could be of interest and help to understand ...
convert charset encoding

DD.20151111.2140.CET